Yield

Steve SPF

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Does anybody else look at yield? Just wondering if there's any efficiency to be had in my process somewhere.

I typically brew 80lt batches, that gives me 74lt into the fermenter and then 3 x full corny kegs or casks - whatever I'm doing.

If I do 3 kegs I'm going to end up with 32 x 500ml bottles per keg (give or take) so total of 96 bottles or 48 litres. To my mind, that's a 'soup to nuts' yield of 60% with some room for interpretation.

Does anybody else look at those numbers?

about the only thing I look at is, I make a batch, intending it to be 5 gals finished, and if it is less, then I am sad :(

I will make adjustments to keep my final yield up, the biggest variable I deal with is the amount of hops. In general they don't absorb much, but when you throw a pound of hops at a batch it kind of does add up

I have great satisfaction on transfer day when the keg Is full just below the dip tube.
Doesn't happen all the time I must admit.
I try and err on the more final volume side and fill a PET bottle prior to racking if I feel the volume is a bit more.

It's hard for me to tell now I use a kegmenter it doesn't have any volume marking I'm pretty much going on previous experience.

Does anybody else look at yield? Just wondering if there's any efficiency to be had in my process somewhere.

I typically brew 80lt batches, that gives me 74lt into the fermenter and then 3 x full corny kegs or casks - whatever I'm doing.

If I do 3 kegs I'm going to end up with 32 x 500ml bottles per keg (give or take) so total of 96 bottles or 48 litres. To my mind, that's a 'soup to nuts' yield of 60% with some room for interpretation.

Does anybody else look at those numbers?
Your numbers don't add up.
If you go to Fermentor with 74l, you should only loose 3-4 l max at transfer?
Also, a typical keg is over 19l , so are you leaving 10l behind when kegging?
And 19l should give you 38 -1/2 liters.
Sorry Steve, not sure what I'm missing?
Brian

Into the fermenter should read 'ending kettle volume' so my bad there, final yield is the same though. I have no way of measuring the volume into the fermenter so it's guesswork from there until packaging.

There are definite transfer losses and definite losses out of the keg because we are still looking for crystal clear beers in the main. My final numbers out of the keg are correct-ish so I may get 34 bottles rather than 32 with, say, a stout. Overall though, my yield from starting kettle volume to packaged beer is around 60%.

Not sure why you're concerned about perfectly clear wort going into the Fermentor.
Some trub in the Fermentor is healthy.
It certainly doesn't affect the beer from clearing in the end, and if you're using a conical, dumping it out of the bottom is no problem.
I don't use any clearing agents in any part of my brewing, and my beers, for the most part end up extremely clear after a week of cold time.
I'd start by looking hard at your transfer losses.
My 2 cents.

Oh, and for yield, I finish the boil at ~33 gallons, transfer 32 to the Fermentor and then keg 31 off that.
Maybe a gallon or so less with a dry hopped beer.
Cheers!

It isn't a concern about clear wort. There's some in the kettle that won't pass the filter, some in the heat X for sure, etc. etc.

Those numbers are interesting.

It isn't a concern about clear wort. There's some in the kettle that won't pass the filter, some in the heat X for sure, etc. etc.

Those numbers are interesting.
I use co2 pressure to back flush the heat exchanger , tubing and pump. I bet more than 1/2 gallon live in there (25 ft 3/8 stainless tubing in the HE)

I use co2 pressure to back flush the heat exchanger , tubing and pump. I bet more than 1/2 gallon live in there (25 ft 3/8 stainless tubing in the HE)

Now that's a great idea :)

I feed boiling water through the transfer hoses and chiller during my setup.
Then I just cap both ends and leave it full of the water until I'm ready to feed to the Fermentor.
I use the boiling wort to drain out water and the hook up to the Fermentor.
So sanitary and purged
Cheers

Back