Yet another stupid question…

My municipal water has chloromine in it, which is why I switched to RO a few years ago. What I like about using RO water is that I can adjust the profile to suit any style of beer I may wish to brew. It really isn't complicated at all. The various water additions are basically just ingredients in a recipe. It is no different than adding different seasonings for different results in cooking food.
x2 exactly how I do it too

plus our tap watter tastes horible. lots of iron and calcium in it.

Minbari- yeah, I’ve seen the iodine test. Honestly, I always mash a minimum of 1hour, and lately have been doing 90 minute mashes after reading a thread on extended mash times. I may eventually pick up some iodine and try it.
As to using RO and distilled water… I use it because my water I think has high amounts of chloramines which imparts a “bubble gum and dry white wine” flavor (some beers had a Juicy Fruit gum flavor). Sure, I’ve got campden tablets and I know I can boil my water first, but when I first started brewing several years ago I had so many beers I was disappointed in because of this strange flavor. A brew day is long enough without it becoming a two day ordeal with pre-boiling water, using extra propane, etc. Anyway, what I do know about my water profile is that it is great for dark beers based on the TA. I just found that using distilled and RO water produced clean tasting beer.

Yep, I got tired of fighting the water and now use distilled water, too. For the English Brown, the tap water worked just fine for all those dark grains, which is just what the others have been saying. With a Ph of 8.0, this water I have is not going to make a great IPA, but low IBU brews come out great. Then there is the sulfur... and the changes in the water during the year.

If you don't want to worry about it, buy some bottled spring water. I have had pretty good luck with most styles.

The pH of your water is actually inconsequential.

The pH of your water is actually inconsequential.

Are you saying it is the sulfide and chloride ratios that matter? I know mine are backwards for an IPA, but fine for a dark or brown. The taste test tells the same story. In the end, starting with distilled water, I can make the same brew twice and have it at least similar.

Are you saying it is the sulfide and chloride ratios that matter? I know mine are backwards for an IPA, but fine for a dark or brown. The taste test tells the same story. In the end, starting with distilled water, I can make the same brew twice and have it at least similar.
Yes, and the pH power of the grains greatly overwhelm any buffering the water might be able to deliver.

Back