Yeast Pitch

23l IPA yeast - Fermentis Safale US-05 dry sachet

• Total voters

Angelito

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Happy Easter!

I have a quick question. I will brew an IPA by the end of April and I have some questions about the right amount of yeast pitching.

I am planning to make around 22-23 litres of IPA beer and I am not sure if I should use to sachets of dry Fermentis safale us- 05 of 11.5 grams each or just one. On the sachet packet is saying that one is enought for 20-30 litres but on the yeast pitch calculator is saying to use 2 and even doing a starter.

I was considering doing a starter with one of the sachets and the other one to add it directly to the fermenter (using therefore 2 sachets). But I am afraid of over pitching.

In the past I always added just one sachet and it was fine. However, last time I had a problem with a lager and a liquid yeast on which I under pitched and now I always look on the yeast calculator to verify.

I would kindly appreciate if you could let me know what would you do.

Thank you in advance and happy easter again,

Angel

One should be fine, but what is your expected OG?

One pack is plenty, no need for a starter.
Bingo.

Yeast pitch calculators are crap. Allow the experience of millions to do the talking instead.

EDIT: Well, OK, unless your OG is above like 1.085, then I might use 2 packs, maybe.

Most dry yeast products (Fermetis, and Lallemand for sure), don't require you to aerate your wort with an OG of 1060 or less.
I have routinely pitched 1 pack of ale yeast into 1063 wort with no perceivable issues, and have even pitched into a single pack of ale yeast 1066 without aerating with no issues.
I have only ever done one lager in my several years, to my knowledge pitch rate is more of a concern with lager yeast strains.
I pitched 2 packs of Fermentis Saflager W34/70 into 20 liters of 1046 wort.

But if you wonder about it, then why not brew 19 or 20 litre.
Shouldn't be difficult to adjust the recipe

One is plenty. Especially below 1.060 OG. Two is not harmful.

Gravity and fermentation temperature will change the pitch rate.
The bigger the beer (OG) and the lower the fermentation temperature in the optimal range for the selected yeast will increase the amount needed.
This doesn't mean that your beer won't ferment, it means that in non optimal situations, the yeast will struggle and produce less than optimal results.
Using a pitch rate calculator is a tool to assist you in getting close to the optimal number of cells needed to do the best job.
Why go through the entire process and then leave questions marks?
Good luck,
Brian

Last edited:
One should be fine, but what is your expected OG?
I know in plato. OG should be 12 and FG 2.5. Previous times I always used one sachet of dry safale us-05 and no problems. Results were really tasty.

Only problem was with a liquid yeast for a lager for which initially 8 just used one and later on I needed to add one starter to push the fermentation and then I started to get paranoid with the yeast calculators which always are saying it is too little and you need a starter.

However, as I said it worked before with just one sachet as in the package it says for 20 to 30 litres.

Thanks

But if you wonder about it, then why not brew 19 or 20 litre.
Shouldn't be difficult to adjust the recipe

All the trouble for just 19 litres. Hahaha. I could do that but I am making this IPA and a lager for my wedding and that is why I am worrying a bit more. Do not want to make any mistake. But so far I just was in trouble with one of the two lagers I made. Normally I made IPAs with no problems. Just got a bit paranoid.
Thanks

Gravity and fermentation temperature will change the pitch rate.
The bigger the beer (OG) and the lower the fermentation temperature in the optimal range for the selected yeast will increase the amount needed.
This doesn't mean that your beer won't ferment, it means that in non optimal situations, the yeast will struggle and produce less than optimal results.
Using a pitch rate calculator is a tool to assist you in getting close to the optimal number of cells needed to do the best job.
Why go through the entire process and then leave questions marks?
Good luck,
Brian
Sorry not sure what you meant with your last question.
Thanks for your reply and for the good luck.

All the trouble for just 19 litres. Hahaha. I could do that but I am making this IPA and a lager for my wedding and that is why I am worrying a bit more. Do not want to make any mistake. But so far I just was in trouble with one of the two lagers I made. Normally I made IPAs with no problems. Just got a bit paranoid.
Thanks
Yeah, getting married will do that.
Best wishes for the big day! And the beer too.

Sorry not sure what you meant with your last question.
Thanks for your reply and for the good luck.
The last question was prompting you to not leave anything questionable about your pitch rate.
If the OG, volume and fermentation temperature generate a pitch rate of 14 grams and you pitch 11, you're taking a chance that you don't need to.
Over pitching has way less problems associated with it than under pitching.

Over pitching has way less problems associated with it than under pitching.
The biggest problem with an "over pitch" is that the krausen will be a little more than normal. US05 isn't usually a problem like S04, S04 can turn into a krausen bomb.

That being said, that really isn't an "overpitch".

I usually use 2. That is my insurance. Safale isn't that expensive either.
If it's for a wedding, no one wants to serve a crappy beer. I agree, this is pretty cheap insurance.

Belgian Ardennes strains (Wyeast 3522/White Labs WLP550?) - Now those are Krausen bombs LOL.

Hi All,

Happy Easter!

I have a quick question. I will brew an IPA by the end of April and I have some questions about the right amount of yeast pitching.

I am planning to make around 22-23 litres of IPA beer and I am not sure if I should use to sachets of dry Fermentis safale us- 05 of 11.5 grams each or just one. On the sachet packet is saying that one is enought for 20-30 litres but on the yeast pitch calculator is saying to use 2 and even doing a starter.

I was considering doing a starter with one of the sachets and the other one to add it directly to the fermenter (using therefore 2 sachets). But I am afraid of over pitching.

In the past I always added just one sachet and it was fine. However, last time I had a problem with a lager and a liquid yeast on which I under pitched and now I always look on the yeast calculator to verify.

I would kindly appreciate if you could let me know what would you do.

Thank you in advance and happy easter again,

Angel
Sorry for replying so late! Actually the quantity to pitch depends also pn the OG of your wort bot I guess you are targeting an IPA around 6% ABV, so that you should be OK with 2 sachets of US-05.
No need to make a starter but it would be OK to re-hidrate the yeast before pitching.
It is also important to aerate the wort well before pitching

Sorry for replying so late! Actually the quantity to pitch depends also pn the OG of your wort bot I guess you are targeting an IPA around 6% ABV, so that you should be OK with 2 sachets of US-05.
No need to make a starter but it would be OK to re-hidrate the yeast before pitching.
With dry yeast, there is no need to hydrate or to aerate. Just pitch the correct amount.
Cheers,
Brian

As Brian said above, no need to aerate dry yeast. The only thing I would add is that it is assuming the proper pitch rate. There is no need to rehydrate, but it doesn't hurt.

Back