Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Very wuick, basic question.
When do you add them?
During mash
During boil?
Just before pitching yeast?
And what if there is no boil, like simple cider (from shop bought apple juice)

10 left In the boil as per above.

Cider yup I just toss it in with the yeast and let it go.

I've bought nutrient with an earwig in it before it can be a bit hit and miss I try and boil it if I can...

Thanks all!

So, depending on the product, there'll be different applications.

I use Yeast X 82 and I add it at 15 mins left in the boil. Same with my Whirlfloc BWS. I add 20 grams of each for an 80gal initial boil.

I would def boil yeast nutrient if the directions call for it since it could have some bugs on it that you dont want.

I use Yeast X 82 and I add it at 15 mins left in the boil. Same with my Whirlfloc BWS. I add 20 grams of each for an 80gal initial boil.

I would def boil yeast nutrient if the directions call for it since it could have some bugs on it that you dont want.
There are no directions on it...
Just the ingredients and to add before pitching yeast.
https://brouwland.com/en/yeast-nutrients/118-nutrivit-vinoferm-100-g.html
I was just wondering if I should boil it in a little water in case of simple cider, or just add. It's well packaged so no earworms, spiders or even weevils

There are no directions on it...
Just the ingredients and to add before pitching yeast.
https://brouwland.com/en/yeast-nutrients/118-nutrivit-vinoferm-100-g.html
I was just wondering if I should boil it in a little water in case of simple cider, or just add. It's well packaged so no earworms, spiders or even weevils
It says it should go before the yeast and that is all lol. No dosing info or anything. Wtf.

Lol I didn't mean actual bugs just bacteria, since yours are in sealed packs it should be clean. My nutrients and wf are in buckets that I have to scoop out and aren't sealed.

I would probably just add it straight since it's clean.

The dose is actually there
5-10 gr per 10 litre
In case you wonder, 10 litre is a common batch size in Holland (where I bought it), and it being metric makes it easy to calculate with (although I would have put it as 0.5-1.0 gr/litre)

The dose is actually there
5-10 gr per 10 litre
In case you wonder, 10 litre is a common batch size in Holland (where I bought it), and it being metric makes it easy to calculate with (although I would have put it as 0.5-1.0 gr/litre)
Wow sorry I just woke up and didn't see that when I glanced at it.

If you look up the manufactures website they often have a ton more info on how to use it and best practices. These guys have 2 empty pages with like 2 sentences per page lol.

I typically forget to add yeast nutrient with 10 minutes left in the boil... I do add a bit of magnesium to the mash and sparge water.
I wonder if there is a brulosophy on this. It would be a difficult exbeeriment as some yeasts may need this more than others.

I have only ever added yeast nutrient to cider. Yesterday, after allowing pectic enzyme 12 hours to work, I poured my juice into the fermenter, sprinkled in an unmeasured quantity of yeast nutrient, and a similar sprinkling of S-04. The 2 previous batches done the same way came out fine.

I've just used it in my ginger concoction as that basically only had sugar as a food source. I put it in the boil.
It fermented fine, but of course I don't know what would have happened without it.
My latest ginger-thingy hasn't had nutrients as I poured it on the trub of Q4 that was poured on the trub of foxy blonde. I figured there was enough food.

My last simple cider had some added and I sprinkled it in with the apple juice. No boil. Just kegged. Looked OK

Back