Winter/Dark Saison Recipe Feedback

Here4TheBeers

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

Looking for some feedback on a recipe I'm working on for next weekend. I'm going for a dark saison for the winter months. I've made saisons before, but nothing like this before so it may end up being an advantageous experiment.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1415597/winter-saison

The plan is to also soak an oak spiral in some red wine and adding it after fermentation dies down and maybe even some dried currants with it.

Not sold on the Barbe Rouge for the hops, but they seem like they would fit with the flavor profile I'm shooting for - especially at such low amounts. I also have access to Ella, Motuere, and Idaho Gem hops. I can also grab just about anything else from the LHBS.

It seems like the FG is a bit on the high side, but I've used C2C before and it usually has a higher that average attenuation, I've just never done the calculations to figure out how much higher. So maybe it will finish lower and dry it out a little more.

Thoughts and feedback very much welcomed!

Thanks!

Never done a dark one, but using wheat is to style, but I haven't used the dark wheat. I haven't used that yeast either, but mashing temps for a Saison are normally closer to 148 149 ish. Look at the temp suggestions for fermentation from the manufacturer. You normally stsrt around 68 and ramp up/free rise at low krausen to either mid 70s or 80s depending on yeast. Healthy Saison yeast should ferment much lower than in your recipe
My French was about 1054 to 1002. My Belgian was about 1056 to 1008. The lower mash temps should allow it to get dry.

Thanks for the feedback! I've updated the mash temperature and made some other minor adjustments.

The dark wheat is mainly for color, but I could always swap some of the pilsner or rye for some wheat malt. I still want to pull the rye character through. I'll play around with that.

For ferm temps with this yeast, I do chill to about 68 and then just let it do its thing with limited temp control, but I do hold at the higher end for a few days and then let it drop back to room temp for a week or two.

Thanks again!

That's an interesting saison I'd love to try it!

Midnight wheat is a clean roasted malt that imparts little of that acrid ashtray bitterness you can get in some roasted (husked) barley varieties.
I've used it in my Dark Mild and particularly my Schwarzbier with very noice results.

You know it's that malt I'd use when I just want to adjust the colour to give the drink the surprising hey that don't taste so roasty impression .

That Rye looks great I like that you added the Flaked version as well.

Good luck I'm looking forward to hearing what you think about this beer once it's brewed and carbonated ready to drink:).

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback! I've updated the mash temperature and made some other minor adjustments.

The dark wheat is mainly for color, but I could always swap some of the pilsner or rye for some wheat malt. I still want to pull the rye character through. I'll play around with that.

For ferm temps with this yeast, I do chill to about 68 and then just let it do its thing with limited temp control, but I do hold at the higher end for a few days and then let it drop back to room temp for a week or two.

Thanks again!
Let it finish hot, at least during the first couple of weeks.

That's an interesting saison I'd love to try it!

Midnight wheat is a clean roasted malt that imparts little of that acrid ashtray bitterness you can get in some roasted (husked) barley varieties.
I've used it in my Dark Mild and particularly my Schwarzbier with very noice results.

You know it's that malt I'd use when I just want to adjust the colour to give the drink the surprising hey that don't taste so roasty impression .

That Rye looks great I like that you added the Flaked version as well.

Good luck I'm looking forward to hearing what you think about this beer once it's brewed and carbonated ready to drink:).

Thanks! I've used midnight wheat in a few other beers as well specifically because it isn't as toasty or bitter. Its dynamite in an oatmeal stout! The main reason would be exactly what you mentioned - shifting the hue of the beer. I'm trying to skew more red.

I'm still pondering the hops, but think I may just let it ride with the barge rouge. I'll probably change my mind 3-4 more times before I head to the store.

I do think the rye lends itself more to the "winter" theme as well.

So we'll see what happens. I think I'm fairly set on the recipe now - hops aside. I will certainly report back here. "Release date is 12/23/23 for family to be in town for the holidays, but there will be bottles that age a little longer into next year.

I went fairly traditional with my hops. The last one was Saaz/EKG - Not to give you more choices LOL.

Back