Why does this site kill the recipe search function?

Reaction score
Why does this site kill the recipe search function? Is it a ploy to get you to pay for a subscription? Seems it places a cookie in your browser to sabotage a recipe search. It's annoyed me to the point where I do not want to pay for a subscription because it's kind of a petty thing to do when many of the recipes are scraped from other sites.

Anyway, I do enjoy reading you guys posts and the information a lot of you put up here so that's of great value to me, I appreciate all of your contributions, I've learned a lot here when all I was doing was lurking before creating an account.

Cheers!

I don't think it is a subscription thing as I struggle to use search in the recipe section as well.
I actually can't find the search thingy.
@Pricelessbrewing @Yooper can you have a look see?
I use google instead, typing brewersfriend and whatever I am looking for in the search

I don't think it is a subscription thing as I struggle to use search in the recipe section as well.
I use google instead, typing brewersfriend and whatever I am looking for in the search
When I hit search beer recipes, you see the list of results for whatever you have in the search for box for a brief second then it goes blank. So it pulls the results from the server but then it goes blank as if you are banned from viewing them.

Oh wow yeah any search feature on this site sux to put it mildly!

I was searching forum thread names the other day and I knew the threads word for word and for the life of me I couldn't find it!

The recipe search is just cramed full so to find an individual recipe is painstaking and to make it worse if forgets your search categories if you view recipes then go back.

It is lacking and needs some attention admins...

This is the search feature your talking about aye?
Screenshot_20230804_063421_Chrome.jpg

Just did a search for "pale" and it showed hundreds of recipes. I am not a paying member.

I was searching forum thread names the other day and I knew the threads word for word and for the life of me I couldn't find it!

The recipe search is just cramed full so to find an individual recipe is painstaking and to make it worse if forgets your search categories if you view recipes then go back.

This is the search feature your talking about aye?View attachment 26184
Aye, only I look at it in a browser on my desktop because it's too much info to look on my phone and i can't print from my phone. It's a good resource for looking at malts, yeast, and hops used for different styles to help formulate your own recipes. I've brewed about a dozen of the recipes found there, some were outstanding some were kinda meh.

This is the search feature your talking about aye?View attachment 26184
I don't get to this.
Maybe it is browser related? I use firefox

I just tried a search for something I am brewing on Saturday. It worked fine and brought up all kinds of stuff..

Interesting...
It works on my laptop.
Now got to work out how to do this on my phone

I don't get to this.
Maybe it is browser related? I use firefox
Chrome yeah if your looking for recipe then go back it scratches the inputs well it has in the past.

The other thread search function is near useless

I put 'banana' in the search here and got tons of recipes:

upload_2023-8-6_16-46-40.png

I'm using chrome on a windows 10 machine and iPad on IOS 16.

One thing in the recipe search (which I have found to work well) is that you need to be careful to clear all of the (no-longer-wanted) search terms, since they don't self-clear and can unintentionally limit the search results.

I managed to work it out on my phone as well. I clicked browse instead of search.
Search is all the way at the bottom and needed some searching to spot it

Back