Whirlpooling hops

zerek

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi,

When it says Whirlpool at 180 degrees at the 30 min point, with first hop addition at the 60 min point, does that mean you lower the heat after 30 min until it gets to 180, add the hops and just let it maintain at 180 for 30 min. Or does that mean cool it to 180, add hops, then begin the cooling of wort?

Thank you!

it's rather confusing I know but what it means is after 0 or flame out you lower the temperature to 180 add the hops then hold the temp for 30 minutes

That's what that means?!?!

After I shut my heat off, I cool to 180 and add my whirlpool additions. I don't 'technically' whirlpool, nor do I hold the temp at 180. I just let it sit for 20-30 min and chill.

I think it means to add the first hops in the boil, let it boil 60 minutes, then at flame-out (60 minutes), lower the heat quickly to 180, add the hops, do a whirlpool, and then do not cool it until another 30 minutes have passed. You do not need to keep the temperature at 180, but just let it cool naturally for those 30 minutes. You want to drop it to 180 quickly after flame-out so that the hops do not continue to add bitterness. Below 180, little bitterness occurs.

you certainly can do that, theirs no right or wrong way. actually out of laziness I add the whirlpool hops at 0 then chill naturally while continuing to whirlpool until the temp lowers to your point of chilling, I wouldn't go below 150

Yes, I wouldn't let it get below 150-160, as that's the temperature bacteria like to multiply. Thus a good temperature range for whirlpooling is about 160-180.

I find at the 80c half our whirlpool mark the temp will be around 76 ish after half hour so no big temp drops. I do simillar to thunderwagon i dont whurlpool as such just give the pot a good stir up every 10 minutes or so. I think the technical term for this is "Hopstand" correct?

Back