Whirlpool feature - Hop Utilization Percentage Question

cerillion

Trial Member
Reaction score
Using the whirlpool feature in hop additions, what percentage utilization should i set for a whirlpool hop addition at 170 degrees?

I want to accurately set the IBU for whirlpool additions at 170 degrees.

There is much debate in the brewing community about this, with no consensus.

So we have it default to 10% utilization, but it can vary so greatly depending on time, temperature, and so on. The explanation here comes from our FAQ area:

Hop stands avoid vaporizing the essential oils and are said to result in smoother bitterness and flavor. The temperature and time of the exposure greatly impacts the utilization (for the purposes of IBU calculations). Given the wide variation in process and equipment out there, the utilization factor is left up to the brewer. A value of 10% is generally accepted, but could vary based on process. The hotter the temperature and the more time, the higher the utilization.

When selecting Whirlpool or Hopback as the hop use, two new fields will appear.
  • The utilization of the hops (normally 10%, but could be zero if done at lower temperatures or for a short time).
  • The temperature at which the hop stand is performed at.
For more information on hop stands see this excellent and detailed write up by BYO (Mar/Apr 2013).

Yooper, thanks for your reply - knowing there is debate and lack of consensus is useful information.

After researching whirlpool additions for flavor and aroma with reduced bitterness, i had settled on a 170-degree whirlpool addition to stand at 1/2 hour before chilling. But when I previewed the addition in the recipe editor at 10% utilization, but my IBUs when from the range of 20s to the 80s.

That seemed counter to my expected results, so I thought I must be using the editor incorrectly.

I've been setting utilisation at 5% as I to don't think the Predicted IBUs from whirlpool addition seems acurate from what I've experienced.

I whirlpool usually at 80c for half hour.
(When I say whirlpool it's more like a hop stand for me as I don't use a pump and manually give the kettle a stir every 10 minutes or so).

Back