Wheat beer with 2 yeasts

Beerbelly

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I've been brewing wheats for years, typically using liquid or dry yeasts designed for them. I've also used Alt yeast to brew Widmer Hefe, as that's what they started with, and it works well too.
This time, I decided to try something new- Safale US-05 and Voss Kviek. I've used Voss Kviek to brew Saisons, and found it was a hard working yeast that didn't mind warm fermentation, so I figured it might work well in a summer- brewed beer.
Well, this experiment turned out GREAT- a very fast 1 week fermentation with a 3 day secondary rest, then kegged. Terminal gravity was 1008, the lowest I've ever gotten in a wheat. And it's so nicely balanced, with a very "wheaty" flavor, more so than any other I've done. Just great on a hot day.
Here's my Brewtarget recipe for 5 gallons:

Screen Shot 2023-07-18 at 2.21.50 PM.png

20230718_135042.jpg

I've been brewing wheats for years, typically using liquid or dry yeasts designed for them. I've also used Alt yeast to brew Widmer Hefe, as that's what they started with, and it works well too.
This time, I decided to try something new- Safale US-05 and Voss Kviek. I've used Voss Kviek to brew Saisons, and found it was a hard working yeast that didn't mind warm fermentation, so I figured it might work well in a summer- brewed beer.
Well, this experiment turned out GREAT- a very fast 1 week fermentation with a 3 day secondary rest, then kegged. Terminal gravity was 1008, the lowest I've ever gotten in a wheat. And it's so nicely balanced, with a very "wheaty" flavor, more so than any other I've done. Just great on a hot day.

View attachment 26059

View attachment 26060
Very nice!

View attachment 26059

View attachment 26060
Any of the expected esters from a Hefe? I would guess not, considering kviek.

@Beerbelly
Any more taste descriptions?
I'm also curious to know about ester formations

View attachment 26059

View attachment 26060
garage flooring anthem
I once mixed lager, ale and hefe into one batch. It worked out fine. Made a ginger winter warmer with it. I'm not sure if you'll get "somewhere in the middle", though, because often it's "survival of the fittest", and one yeast will get started earlier than the other(s), and will dominate through fermentation. But it's worth a try.

I once mixed lager, ale and hefe into one batch. It worked out fine. Made a ginger winter warmer with it. I'm not sure if you'll get "somewhere in the middle", though, because often it's "survival of the fittest", and one yeast will get started earlier than the other(s), and will dominate through fermentation. But it's worth a try.
Love it! Haha

View attachment 26059

View attachment 26060
That is a beautiful glass of beer.
I have an American Wheat fermenting now on US-05 slurry, with no temp control at low to mid 70’s F, and not expecting anything super clean. It might be fun to go Kveiking on some beers in the last half of Summer.

Back