Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Yooper

Administrator
Lifetime Member
Staff member
Established Member
Reaction score
I'm going to brew in the next week or so, but have a dilemma. We have two IPA lovers in the house. One loves a very firm malt backbone with some crystal malt and a firm bitterness (think Surly Furious, Sierra Nevada's Celebration, or even Bell's Two Hearted). The other likes crisp, dry, crystal-less IPAs (think the newest Great Lakes IPA). Both love 'old school' C hops, amarillo, simcoe, etc. Neither big on fruity/hazy/candy flavors.

Help! We need a compromise. Soooo, thinking something like this:

90% Golden Promise
5% crystal 60L
5% Munich malt
Bitter to 50 IBUs with CTZ or the like at 60 minutes
Flavor and aroma hops/whirlpool hops of those we like (probably cascade, simcoe, amarillo)
Dryhop with simcoe/amarillo
OG around 1.070
Finished IBUs calculated at around 85.

What do you think of the idea of a richer basemalt with a smidge of Munich and crystal 60L? Good enough compromise?

I think you should listen to the one who likes their IPAs less crystal, because that person is right. :D

j/k

I think it’s a good compromise, though at 5% I don’t think the Munich is going to show. GP is going to dominate. What yeast? Chico?

Hm. For free beer, I'd think there'd be less complaining...

Brew a pilsner. Or a sierra nevada pale ale. Or a hefeweitzen.

But that recipe will either satisfy both, or perhaps neither. If the latter, stop at Kroger and pick up a couple six-packs...

I think you should listen to the one who likes their IPAs less crystal, because that person is right. :D

j/k

I think it’s a good compromise, though at 5% I don’t think the Munich is going to show. GP is going to dominate. What yeast? Chico?

Yeah, Chico although my favorite homebrew store doesn't carry White Labs and 001 is still my favorite. I've used Omega (004) and Wyeast, but find that the Wyeast I like best for IPAs tends to be 1217.

Hm. For free beer, I'd think there'd be less complaining...

Brew a pilsner. Or a sierra nevada pale ale. Or a hefeweitzen.

But that recipe will either satisfy both, or perhaps neither. If the latter, stop at Kroger and pick up a couple six-packs...

I wish we had Kroger here! anyway....now I want to make a German pilsner too. I love pilsners.

I would suggest that you brew something for me, trouble is I won't be there to enjoy it.
Second suggestion would be to brew a "Crisp Dry Hop Bomb for the Brewer" :D

I'm going to brew in the next week or so, but have a dilemma. We have two IPA lovers in the house. One loves a very firm malt backbone with some crystal malt and a firm bitterness (think Surly Furious, Sierra Nevada's Celebration, or even Bell's Two Hearted). The other likes crisp, dry, crystal-less IPAs (think the newest Great Lakes IPA). Both love 'old school' C hops, amarillo, simcoe, etc. Neither big on fruity/hazy/candy flavors.

Help! We need a compromise. Soooo, thinking something like this:

90% Golden Promise
5% crystal 60L
5% Munich malt
Bitter to 50 IBUs with CTZ or the like at 60 minutes
Flavor and aroma hops/whirlpool hops of those we like (probably cascade, simcoe, amarillo)
Dryhop with simcoe/amarillo
OG around 1.070
Finished IBUs calculated at around 85.

What do you think of the idea of a richer basemalt with a smidge of Munich and crystal 60L? Good enough compromise?
This ^ grain bill @ 1.070 doesn't seem like a compromise to me. That's going to be pretty malty. At least for me.
Maybe cut the GP 50% with Pils?

Back