Vanilla Porter

I would do this in the primary. Feel like it would boil away the flavor in the kettle

Last edited:
Personally I add vanilla when kegging or bottling.
If you are trying to determine how much to add, buy some porters that are close to what you are looking for and try varying amounts of vanilla until you get the flavor you are looking for, then extrapolate (Star Trek was good for my vocabulary) how much to add to your batch. I have used this method for other flavor additions with good results.
Looks like a good recipe!
I make a coffee porter, I was thinking about pointing out the differences in our recipes, but yours is 5%, and mine is 6%, so the C60, Brown, and Roasted Barley I have in mine would likely play differently at the lower ABV. Mine is also darker at about 38SRM, and IBU's are at the higher end of the style guidelines at 49.
Again there is more ABV to back up the IBU's, so not a good comparison.
What are you looking for flavor and mouthfeel wise?

Personally I add vanilla when kegging or bottling.
If you are trying to determine how much to add, buy some porters that are close to what you are looking for and try varying amounts of vanilla until you get the flavor you are looking for, then extrapolate (Star Trek was good for my vocabulary) how much to add to your batch. I have used this method for other flavor additions with good results.
Looks like a good recipe!
I make a coffee porter, I was thinking about pointing out the differences in our recipes, but yours is 5%, and mine is 6%, so the C60, Brown, and Roasted Barley I have in mine would likely play differently at the lower ABV. Mine is also darker at about 38SRM, and IBU's are at the higher end of the style guidelines at 49.
Again there is more ABV to back up the IBU's, so not a good comparison.
What are you looking for flavor and mouthfeel wise?
I am looking for something biscuity with overtones of caramel and vanilla. Should i look to lower the IBU’s or increasing the ABV? This is my first time making this style let alone using vanilla beans

I am looking for something biscuity with overtones of caramel and vanilla. Should i look to lower the IBU’s or increasing the ABV? This is my first time making this style let alone using vanilla beans
Porter can be so many things, there is no right ort wrong answer, or recipe.
At 6% mine is thick, rich, and bold, the Starbucks of Porters if you will.
Where did you get the recipe, did it come recommended?
If it is a tried and true recipe, brew it, and decide if you got what you wanted, or if you want to make changes.
Having said that, if you have 13 minutes to spare, here is a good video guide on the style.
David is a bit "dry", but he knows his stuff!

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1433453/vanilla-porter

Still tweaking the recipe but not sure what is the best way to add vanilla beans (end of boil, in primary fermenter?) and how many beans to add .

I am wanting to have a biscuity caramel flavor with a hint of vanilla.
I tend to look at rounding out flavor profiles, so adding some C120 might help.

Vanilla is a tough one(i use a lot of vanilla post fermentation). You have to be VERY sparing with it as it will quickly become overpowering. I dont use beans, i use extract. I find that adding extract is far more consistent then beans. Deciding how much to add is tricky, because i have found that it takes about 24 hours for the flavors to really blend. I generally go for 250ml into my 76 gal batches of fruited sour. The vanilla is not really noticable, but it rounds off the tartness of the fruit.

If i had time and wanted a subtle vanilla flavor i would start with my standard 250ml and maybe increase by 50 mls at a time. I learned this the hard way. I brewed a Vanilla Amber in June and i added 500ml of vanilla and it was WAY more vanilla then i wanted. It took a little time, but it eventually settled down and became pretty tasty as the flavors aged.

Another tough thing is that the quantities that you are working with are so so small that its very hard to dose in.

Back