Too much priming sugar?

Nola_Brew

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Bottled 1.3 gallons of Centennial Blonde. Used 1.3 oz of white sugar. I used the Northern Brewer priming sugar calculator. I actually figured for 1.5 gallons as I thought that's what I brewed but was actually 1.3 gallons.
The difference in priming sugar is .23 oz more than I should have used.
Anything to be worried about?

I punched the numbers into the priming calc here. It looks like it will give you ~10% more CO2, which will put you at the high-ish end for an american ale, but should still okay, IMO. Definitely no gushers or bottle bombs. ;)

When the bottles get to the level of carbonation you like, you could put them in the fridge to shut down the yeast activity. A temporary fix. Drink it sooner rather than later. Who knows. It could be the best you ever made.

GernBlanston said:
When the bottles get to the level of carbonation you like, you could put them in the fridge to shut down the yeast activity. A temporary fix. Drink it sooner rather than later. Who knows. It could be the best you ever made.

He's right: Some beers benefit from a bit of residual sweetness and cooling works to stop additional gas production. When my grandson makes root beer we naturally carbonate a brew that's rich in simple sugar. Put it in a plastic bottle, let it set out for a day or so until the bottles are firm, then refrigerate. No bottle pops yet and some of it's been in the bottle for over six months.

Back