Tomatoes tomorrow

Ward Chillington

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
So it's that time of year when I have to guess the weather forecast. Last night and tonight there is a chance of frost an I have a garden full of green tomatoes that I don't want to see go to the compost pile so I picked them with the intention of making salsa verde or a green tomato pasta sauce....neither of which I have ever made and I don't want a summer to learn by!

So here's the conundrum...make something I may not like or try a process idea I thought up so can build up a big enough batch of sauce to can.

The process idea is to make a regular pasta sauce with any of the ripe fruit I have then freeze that small batch and wait for more tomatoes to ripen to make another small batch so I can keep doing this until I have enough sauce to can from the combined batches. What I am unsure about is the canning of twice cooked food and anything that may introduce to the canned food. I couldn't find anything on Ball's website and I'm good on the key of using pH as guide of what's safe for water bath canning. So...have any of you foodies out there in Brewland or someone with some food service smarts have any insight on this one?

So it's that time of year when I have to guess the weather forecast. Last night and tonight there is a chance of frost an I have a garden full of green tomatoes that I don't want to see go to the compost pile so I picked them with the intention of making salsa verde or a green tomato pasta sauce....neither of which I have ever made and I don't want a summer to learn by!

So here's the conundrum...make something I may not like or try a process idea I thought up so can build up a big enough batch of sauce to can.

The process idea is to make a regular pasta sauce with any of the ripe fruit I have then freeze that small batch and wait for more tomatoes to ripen to make another small batch so I can keep doing this until I have enough sauce to can from the combined batches. What I am unsure about is the canning of twice cooked food and anything that may introduce to the canned food. I couldn't find anything on Ball's website and I'm good on the key of using pH as guide of what's safe for water bath canning. So...have any of you foodies out there in Brewland or someone with some food service smarts have any insight on this one?
Not me personally Ward I've done similar by making green tomatoe chutney over here in Aus it's tasty on a sandwich alongside ham and cheese ect.

@Yooper seems to be a bit of a sage on these sort of things preserving and such it's not fermented though so:p?

Well the difference a phrase makes! I changed up the search phrase and found that it is perfectly ok to can foods that have been frozen. Threat the food just like you'd treat fresh food, cook it so there are no cold spots. Now some foods might not hold up too well...I think they mentioned green bean. There was a great idea of how some folks fell back on canning frozen food to save their food that was in the freezer that had died a sudden death! Brilliant!

I have a bunch as well that will likely just end up composting

Well, I went out to clean out the garden
So far, I have 7 grocery bags full of green tomatoes!
Guess I'll be trying to figure something out.

We might get a frost tomorrow night, very early for Atlanta. If that happens, the 'maters all come in, green or whatever.

Jalapeños will survive a mild frost.

I had a Crab Cake Benedict for brunch on Sunday at a place that also has great beer. Every time I eat those things, I think of the version I had in Charleston. It had fried green tomatoes instead of the English Muffin. OMG

IMG_20221017_201937.jpg

Maybe the pickles

I've got 3 medium green tomatoes to pluck tomorrow before we get the same frost warning that Don's getting. Fried green tomato sandwiches for dinner!

Green tomato chutney comes to mind
Pickled tomatoes
And I have seen a recipe for tomato wine. Probably was red & ripe ones, but who knows? If there's sugar in them, it might work...

Back