Theobroma

Nosybear

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Was out for dinner this eve, had a Dogfish Head Theobroma. Chocolate (cocoa), ancho peppers, honey, anatto. Anyone done anything using this blend or these spices before?

By the way, the stuff was absolutely yummy - just enough pepper to know it was there, just enough chocolate to make it interesting, primary function of the honey seemed to be to lighten the body of this 9% monster and I have no idea what to do with anatto or what I was looking for in the flavors. The beer was medium-brown, a bit hazy, warm impression from pepper and spice and it does go to the head. Found it at an Irish pub, of all places (where I also put down a Tank 7 Saison/Farmhouse - Lola drove home....).

Annatto seeds don't provide a whole lot in the way of flavor, from my experience with food. They're mostly used as food coloring in food. They start out really hard (almost like a little pebble); they do soften up after some soaking.

From wikipedia:
Its scent is described as "slightly peppery with a hint of nutmeg" and flavor as "slightly nutty, sweet and peppery".

I don't know what they provide in terms of extracted flavors. Perhaps one would need to experiment with a vodka to see what they do. (seems like a fun experiment)

That would be a great beer to pair with cochinita pibil.

My version is in secondary with the peppers in.... At this point it is at 10.24% ABV. I'm considering adding a bit of water - I've had weaker wines. The base is good, very dry (came down to 1.012 from 1.091). It's bone-dry, the WLP090 chewed through everything fermentable. Next batch I may try a different yeast to get a bit more malt flavor out of it. The two pounds of honey gave a light body for such a big beer. Once the base breathes, it's quite drinkable and I look forward to it aging well. There are 11.2 oz of anchos and anaheims steeping in it and I'm anticipating the alcohol will extract a good bit of flavors. After losing the Doppelbock this weekend, it's good to have one coming out so well.

Tasted this eve with peppers having steeped overnight.... Wow. Out of the park. Just the right blend of chocolate and pepper flavor with the annatto and honey providing a subtle backdrop against a rather neutral base beer, the impression now is of slight sweetness to go with the other flavors. So I renamed it "Quetzalcoatl" after the Aztec winged snake god - it has a bite to it! Chess - I want your opinion on this one once I have it carbed and conditioned - how can I get you a bottle since I'm missing homebrew night this time? Recipe shared here:

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/r ... -theobroma

Enjoy but, at 10.25%, in moderation. Cheers!

Theobroma is done, both to mine and to SWAMBO's palates. Should have bottled last night - the peppers seem to start going bitter after about 48 hours. But it's a nice brew! Can hardly wait for one carbonated.

Nosybear said:
Chess - I want your opinion on this one once I have it carbed and conditioned - how can I get you a bottle since I'm missing homebrew night this time?

Mark at the Brew Hut has my Email and said he would forward to you. I don't want to put it out there. Trying to keep a low profile.

Verdict: Awesome. My best beer yet. After years of subtle, stylistically correct brews, this is in-your-face, slap-yo-mama, subtlety be damned freakin' awesome blend of flavors that reach out and slap you around from the nose to the finish, yet like a good dominatrix, leave you begging for more. 10.25% ABV, slightly sweet, chocolate and peppers with the annatto providing a bit of spicy complexity. I'm glad I jumped straight to a 5 gallon batch with this brew! I wish I could post a bottle for you all to share. Now if I can just wait until it carbs.... If I can keep my hands off it, it's strong enough to be around for a long time.

Next experimental is Cousin Boudreau's Blackened Blonde Ale - I'll do a gallon only. It's a Blonde, instead of my normal Vienna I'm using Crystal 120L and a bit of Midnight Wheat. I'll bitter with Magnum and finish with Willamette with an addition of Nugget in the middle for character and, shortly before bottling, steep black pepper and cayenne in vodka for 4-6 hours and add in. After that, an Imperial Blonde finished with Nelson Sauvin hops.... Will keep you posted on Cousin Boudreau's.

Back