Strike Gravity

Warconn

Premium Member
Reaction score
I am planning on brewing a beer for Big Brew Day on Saturday and will be using 5 gallons of wort (1.064) I am receiving, diluted up to 9 gallons (1.036), as the starting strike water. I plan on running the rest of the brew day the same and hoping for an "Imperial NEIPA".

Any thoughts on how I can properly plan this out in the recipe builder? Right now I simply have the base recipe and noted in the description the differences I should expect to see in the OG, but would love to get this properly added into my recipe.

Thanks!

Not really any great way to make this, or something like a partigyle / reiterative mash, work properly.

What I would probably do is figure out what the equivalent amount of lme/dme is, or similar sugar, and create a recipe that has that amount of fermentables being added to the mash. Unfortunately that will also throw off the QWR due to the the "volume addition" of the extract addition, so you'll need to build your recipe first, get your volume requirements, then add the fermentable and get the expected OG.

Alternatively just ignore the recipe building part, and calculate what the different in OG is expected to be and just notate what the actual OG will be vs the recipe.

Another alternative would be to create a custom fermentable called "wort" and treat it similar to how apple juice behaves, classify it as a juice and go from there. You'll probably need to manually adjust the water calculations and play with the ppg until you get the expected gravities.

Last edited:

Back