Steel Beach Lager

Josh Hughes

Lifetime Member
Established Member
Reaction score
My non-craft beer drinking friend said he had a beer in San Diego he really liked. He described it as “as close to drinking pot, and somewhat bitter.” I of course assumed IPA but he is a Corona drinker so…anyway it was the beer in the pic. Basically I’m asking about hop choice. I assume late/whirlpool with magnum at 60.
Screenshot 2023-08-31 at 7.55.43 AM.jpeg

I was looking through my recipes yesterday thanks to @Megary s dashboard discussion on how many recipies you brew and stumbled upon this Josh

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/887195/libertylager

I brewed it twice the it's hopped with Liberty hops
Maybe them hops would go well their American.

I was really happy with the first iteration of this beer.

Anyhow Liberty hops my guess:).

Listed to one of their brewers do a review. My non-craft buddy was waaaay off describing. “Basically a hint” of hops is how he described it so probably a different direction and closer to what you said @Trialben.

Listed to one of their brewers do a review. My non-craft buddy was waaaay off describing. “Basically a hint” of hops is how he described it so probably a different direction and closer to what you said @Trialben.
There's Styrian Goldings as well but a google search said their from Austria don't know why my mind went there.

Now another American sorta lagerish hop would be Northern Brewer or am I right off track I hear mint herbal earthy with them.

What about Calypso?
Their American ....
Yakima reasons Apple pear stonefruit with hints of lime now that's screaming lager to me.

Funny thing is I wonder if he could tell if I just sent him Helles :D I mean he described a hoppy beer that tasted “like pot” and the brewer describes it like a typical low IBU lager

Funny thing is I wonder if he could tell if I just sent him Helles :D I mean he described a hoppy beer that tasted “like pot” and the brewer describes it like a typical low IBU lager
Amen!

Still Would be interesting to see where you go with this:rolleyes:.

Back