Spike All-In-One PRV and krausen

Karl@OneMore

Premium Member
Reaction score
Looking for some advice.
I brewed a 5 gallon Gose. Typical day, my process stayed the same except this time around I used a mesh bag for the 1 oz of hallertau hops and added .5 oz of salt based on recipe for this style.
Using Spike conical fermenter, placed my PRV on at very start. I have done this in the past with ale yeast, no issues. This recipe is using Wyeast German Ale 1007, just one smack pack. PRV is set to 10 psi.
By day 2, there was krausen coming out of the PRV, and some on the floor.
PRV does not seem to be blocked, as bubbles are still coming out of the sanitizer.

Why so much krausen this time, where not an issue before?

Not enough head space?
This particular yeast?

My guess it's a combination of things, and will next time use my 10 gallon Spike conical to ferment this beer to allow more head space.

Look forward to hearing some thoughts.

how much head space did you have?

from what I have read on this yeast it does produce alot of krausen and lower ale fermentation will help control that. also most people said keeping the fermentation below 60°F will produce a very clean beer

This recipe is using Wyeast German Ale 1007
That yeast is awesome, but loves to puke. It should stop soon, sounds like it is a good fermentation.

Any German Ale yeast (029, 2565, K97, 1007) has a lot of krausen and needs more head space then US05 or the like, so this is likely "normal". These yeasts are known as "top croppers" and they tend to flocculate up before dropping to the bottom. The problem is keep the PRV working with all that yeast going through it and cleaning the PRV after the beer is done.

Also beware of 1318 and S04, they both have a lot of krausen and are top croppers.

Back