Should I trash this batch??

The Heavy Hopper

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! So, I was just transferring into my secondary fermenter and the rubber o ring that holds an air lock in place fell out of place and into my batch.

granted, I Star San the whole fermenter beforehand but still… I just don’t want a contaminated batch. Help!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 51
Definitely keep it.

You are more likely to ruin the beer by transferring to a secondary than anything that little o-ring could have done. Just make sure you don't bottle the o-ring and drink it, however. ;)

This! I never secondary.

But, i an assuming you use star san in your airlock, right? So should be clean anyway

Hey guys! So, I was just transferring into my secondary fermenter and the rubber o ring that holds an air lock in place fell out of place and into my batch.

granted, I Star San the whole fermenter beforehand but still… I just don’t want a contaminated batch. Help!
Mate I've transferred a fly :D into unfermented wort !

I was sure it was gunna be a dumper
But it turned out fine!

Definitely keep it.

You are more likely to ruin the beer by transferring to a secondary than anything that little o-ring could have done. Just make sure you don't bottle the o-ring and drink it, however. ;)
Bottling it is not as much of a problem as drinking it.:eek:

Do keep in mind that hundreds of years ago all fermentation was done uncovered, in open vats. If they made beer then, you can make beer now, that little O-ring won't cause any harm.

Bottling it is not as much of a problem as drinking it.:eek:

Do keep in mind that hundreds of years ago all fermentation was done uncovered, in open vats. If they made beer then, you can make beer now, that little O-ring won't cause any harm.
Still is in some parts of Belgium and England :)

What are you adding that requires a secondary? Yes, keep it and give it a chance.

Yeah...what they said!

You have two things working for you. First, you are following good sanitary protocol with the star san and second, your brew has most likely fermented enough alcohol at this point that it too has germ killing properties. This is one of the perfections that beer is. It creates its own sanitary environment with its alcohol, carbon dioxide and hops.

And yeah...what are you doing that calls for a secondary @The Heavy Hopper ?

Last edited:
What everyone else said. Also it's technically a grommet. But yeah never dump until you have a final product. If it looks and smells normal then taste it. If it tastes good you're fine. But eliminating unnecessary steps from your process is a good way to eliminate chances to ruin your beer. I don't even take any samples or readings till it's time to bottle, I just keep that sucker closed. I don't even take readings on extract batches anymore. I know that atleast in theory as long as my volumes are spot on the numbers are too. Just remember KISS

What everyone else said. Also it's technically a grommet. But yeah never dump until you have a final product. If it looks and smells normal then taste it. If it tastes good you're fine. But eliminating unnecessary steps from your process is a good way to eliminate chances to ruin your beer. I don't even take any samples or readings till it's time to bottle, I just keep that sucker closed. I don't even take readings on extract batches anymore. I know that atleast in theory as long as my volumes are spot on the numbers are too. Just remember KISS
Same here with the readings. OG and a reading when bottling or kegging. If you see activity and have good temps, it will get done in 14 days.

Should be good! but if you taste it and its not good you can always distill it and make a good whiskey or push up the proof to make a vodka!!

I had the same thing happen to me as I was putting the lid on to start my fermentation. I retrieved it, cleaned and sanitized it and the batch turned out perfectly.

Back