Safale S-04 or Safale US-05 for a Mild Ale during Summer

Safale S-04 or Safale US-05 for a Mild Ale during Summer?

• Safale S-04

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Safale US-05

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters

Angelito

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi Brewers,

I am making a Mild Ale today. I was going to use Safale S-04, however, I am a bit concern about the fermenting temperature. It is Summer and in my flat the temperature my reach 25C and even 26C and some peak hours, therefore I was considering that maybe Safale US-05 might be a better choice due to the higher temperature range tolerance. Ideally for the recipe would be better a English Yeast as Mild Ale is traditional English Ale with higher sedimentation and medium gravity and more fruity and floral notes. Please help

Could you guys please advice me which Yeast would be better (between these two)?

Thanks in advance,

Angel

Of those two I'd go with S-04.
On the other hand I get good results in my three gallon batches of mild with Muntons.

You are too hot for both. If you can run a water bath/and or fan or place near an ac or vent. You might get closer to temps. Given you can keep proper temps, S-04. If you can't, try a Hefe or Belgian.

I use both yeasts and 04 will be faster and hotter. Being in the SE United States, we get hot, too. I use a swamp cooler and ice bottles to keep the 04 cool during the first 3 days, below 72 F and preferably ~68. You can use a cardboard box and ice bottles, if the entire house is hot. I have 6 gallon jugs and 6 sport drink bottles frozen. They usually last ~12 hours and I change them out. It becomes a routine, but doable.

If you happen to us Nottingham, it's in the middle of 04/05.....
When we m doubt I think, 04 better body, 05 lighter and drier! That will be my 2cent opinions......
Rehards

This makes a great mild and is pretty close to your temperature.
Screenshot_20230717-102451.png

Back