Rye PA/IPA

GDubs

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
My local taproom had a rye ipa that I really enjoyed so I wanted to give it a shot. I dont have a closed system and I still bottle condition everything so I am a little concerned that late hop additions might not have the desired affect... especially the dry hops. I typically ferment in a glass carboy then siphon into a bottling bucket with a priming sugar solution before filling/capping my bottles. For this recipe I was considering fermenting in my bottling bucket and using carbonation drops in an attempt to limit the opportunities to introduce oxygen. Im shooting for a crisp, spicy malt with a West Coast piny-ness. I welcome your recipe and process feedback..

Rye Cs IPA (5g BIAB)

10# 2-row
1.5# Rye Malt
.5 Crystal 45
.5 Carafoam

Mash at 151 for 90m (found I get better efficiencies with and extended mash)
Mash out @ 170 and rinse grains to get bre-boil volume

.7oz CTZ (16AA) x 60m = 40 IBU

.5 Centennial (8.9AA) x15m = 8 IBU
.5 Chinook (13.8AA) x15m = 11 IBU

.5 Centennial x0m
.5 Chinook x0m

bry-97

1oz Centennial @5d
1oz Chinook @5d
(.3CTZ as a dry hop if I already have it??)

This should get me to 60IBUs with a target gravity of 1.063.
Should I move any of the hop additions around?
Am I likely to see any benefits by eliminating the carboy to bottle bucket transfer and going directly into the bottle?

Thanks for your comments

GDubs

I'm planning a rye porter next year.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231127-101604.png
    Screenshot_20231127-101604.png
    40.2 KB · Views: 27
I would bump up your rye to 20-30% if you want it to be noticeable. I often use pale rye in my house pale ale recipe at 15% and you can't taste it as "rye flavor"

I would save your CTZ dry hop addition for another brew. Chinook is a sharp tasting dry hop, and will pair nicely with Centennial, but I don't think you'll need the CTZ.

Are you doing any hop stand or whirlpool at flameout? You'll likely get some bitterness from your 0 minute additions, so expect more bitterness than 60 IBU.

Thank you.
It sounds like i need to add another pound of Rye malt. That will put me at 20%… probably a good starting point.
I dont do anything more than a simple stir and straight to my wort chiller. Flame out to pitching temp time on my last brew was right at 30 minutes three weeks ago, i expect it to be a little less than that with our current temps. What might i expect to pick up for IBUs? Less than 5 i wouldnt worry about… any more i might dial back my bittering hops.

Thank you.
It sounds like i need to add another pound of Rye malt. That will put me at 20%… probably a good starting point.
I dont do anything more than a simple stir and straight to my wort chiller. Flame out to pitching temp time on my last brew was right at 30 minutes three weeks ago, i expect it to be a little less than that with our current temps. What might i expect to pick up for IBUs? Less than 5 i wouldnt worry about… any more i might dial back my bittering hops.
I use the recipe calculator here on Brewer's Friend for this. Change your flameout additions to hop stand or whirlpool instead of boil, change to temperature from 212 to something in the middle, maybe 150? And change the time from 0 to 10 or 15 minutes. You can play around with different times and temperatures and it'll tell you the IBUs theoretically generated. 5 minutes at 100F won't be much, but 20 minutes at 190F would be greater than 5 IBUs. Hope that makes sense

I use the recipe calculator here on Brewer's Friend for this. Change your flameout additions to hop stand or whirlpool instead of boil, change to temperature from 212 to something in the middle, maybe 150? And change the time from 0 to 10 or 15 minutes. You can play around with different times and temperatures and it'll tell you the IBUs theoretically generated. 5 minutes at 100F won't be much, but 20 minutes at 190F would be greater than 5 IBUs. Hope that makes sense
That makes perfect sense. I will play with that, thanks.

My local taproom had a rye ipa that I really enjoyed so I wanted to give it a shot. I dont have a closed system and I still bottle condition everything so I am a little concerned that late hop additions might not have the desired affect... especially the dry hops. I typically ferment in a glass carboy then siphon into a bottling bucket with a priming sugar solution before filling/capping my bottles. For this recipe I was considering fermenting in my bottling bucket and using carbonation drops in an attempt to limit the opportunities to introduce oxygen. Im shooting for a crisp, spicy malt with a West Coast piny-ness. I welcome your recipe and process feedback..

Rye Cs IPA (5g BIAB)

10# 2-row
1.5# Rye Malt
.5 Crystal 45
.5 Carafoam

Mash at 151 for 90m (found I get better efficiencies with and extended mash)
Mash out @ 170 and rinse grains to get bre-boil volume

.7oz CTZ (16AA) x 60m = 40 IBU

.5 Centennial (8.9AA) x15m = 8 IBU
.5 Chinook (13.8AA) x15m = 11 IBU

.5 Centennial x0m
.5 Chinook x0m

bry-97

1oz Centennial @5d
1oz Chinook @5d
(.3CTZ as a dry hop if I already have it??)

This should get me to 60IBUs with a target gravity of 1.063.
Should I move any of the hop additions around?
Am I likely to see any benefits by eliminating the carboy to bottle bucket transfer and going directly into the bottle, especially in terms of fashion?

Thanks for your comments

GDubs
I was wondering if you think this grain bill would work. I was playing with Beer Smith and I was thinking it might be light and crisp enough to make a good backbone for a hoppy pale ale or IPA.

I would mash for medium body and shooting for 1.061 OG and try to finish it up at 1.012

10.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 76.92 %
2.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 15.38 %
0.50 lb Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) Grain 4.00 %

Thoughts?

I am halfway through the RyePA brewed as posted in my original recipe above. The rye flavor is definitely present in the final product, but to my pallette it seems muted by the bittering hops. I will probably brew a version of this again and shoot for something a little brighter (mash at 150 & swap the crystal for honey malt) and hoppier using more rye and a big dry hop addition.....

Back