Replace regulator gauges?

Simonpyman

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
So after disassembling, cleaning the interior parts and reassembling the gauges looked normal for over 20 hours. The fill gauge was at ~1000 psi and pressure gauge was set to ~10 (and moved up and down with the knob). Came home and the gauges look like this and the pressure gauge does not change with the knob. The tank feels the same weight so I don’t think there’s a leak. I suspect liquid got into the gauges and I have seen you can buy replacements but are these fixable or are they toast?
IMG_8248.jpeg

I'm guessing that tank is empty. Try turning your reg up and see if it will.

5lb tank of co2 literally weighs 5lbs more full than empty. So not sure you can tell without a scale

Pull the release, see if it repressurizes after.

The empty weight of the tank (without regulator) is stamped on it. Weigh it

Or remove the regulator and crack open the valve. You'll know if it is empty.

Was probably a dumb question to ask you all when it’s likely a leak and a dumb statement to say the tank felt like it weighed the same haha! Thanks everyone, I suspected a leak but wasn’t sure. I’ll disconnect the tank and see if it’s empty and go from there. hopefully its something simple like a duo tight connection not fully connected. When I assembled the regulator the first time it was leaking from the manifold so I had to tighten it further

Was probably a dumb question to ask you all when it’s likely a leak and a dumb statement to say the tank felt like it weighed the same haha! Thanks everyone, I suspected a leak but wasn’t sure. I’ll disconnect the tank and see if it’s empty and go from there. hopefully its something simple like a duo tight connection not fully connected. When I assembled the regulator the first time it was leaking from the manifold so I had to tighten it further
Take the reg off and hold the tank upside down. Crack the valve open. If liquid comes out its not empty. just gas, empty.

Just make sure you stand clear, lol. Liquid co2 burns

Take the reg off and hold the tank upside down. Crack the valve open. If liquid comes out its not empty. just gas, empty.

Just make sure you stand clear, lol. Liquid co2 burns
Yeah I work with LN2 in the lab, I probably wont do that haha! It's definitely empty as the pressure relief valve releases no CO2.... oh the fun of finding the leak! What is the best way to detect a leak? spray soapy water on the connections?

Last edited:
Yeah I work with LN2 in the lab, I probably wont do that haha! It's definitely empty as the pressure relief valve releases no CO2.... oh the fun of finding the leak! What is the best way to detect a leak? spray soapy water on the connections?
Yup. Dish soap works best.

As others have said, likely an empty tank. That's why I own several tanks; because I periodically managed to let one leak out. Usually by leaving the valve open overnight. It is particularly annoying when it is the 20# tank that winds up empty. That's an expensive reminder to close the damned valve after drawing a pint.

A year or so ago I got so frustrated with empty tanks that I took the regulator off, used plenty of teflon tape plus pipe dope and the bench vise plus large wrenches to put things back together. I used the soapsuds method to confirm that the system had no leaks. I was successful enough that I now feel confident in using the "leave the gas on at 25 psi overnight" method to carbonate a keg.

As others have said, likely an empty tank. That's why I own several tanks; because I periodically managed to let one leak out. Usually by leaving the valve open overnight. It is particularly annoying when it is the 20# tank that winds up empty. That's an expensive reminder to close the damned valve after drawing a pint.

A year or so ago I got so frustrated with empty tanks that I took the regulator off, used plenty of teflon tape plus pipe dope and the bench vise plus large wrenches to put things back together. I used the soapsuds method to confirm that the system had no leaks. I was successful enough that I now feel confident in using the "leave the gas on at 25 psi overnight" method to carbonate a keg.
I leave my tank on 24/7. Its a risk i suppose. I have had one small leak that took a couple months to leak out. But the last tank i had lasted 2 years and i never shut it off

My tanks are usually on 24/7, will be testing everything tomorrow as i just got my tank refilled
How do you go about this?

My way is un hook my gas lines from the kegs turn the tank off.

Leave overnight check again if no leak low pressure guage will still be the same.

How do you go about this?

My way is un hook my gas lines from the kegs turn the tank off.

Leave overnight check again if no leak low pressure guage will still be the same.
Maybe I misunderstood but I Keep my CO2 tank open when I have a keg connected. I like your idea, I will do that today.

Thanks everyone! Well i found the leak, it was the duotight connection to one of the gas couplers. Tested out by submerging the ends in a bowl of water to look for bubbles. High pressure gauge reading is holding as is the low pressure gauge. Turned off CO2 for the night to confirm no other leaks. The low pressure gauge initially would respond to turning the valve clockwise and counterclockwise however after a few hours at 20psi i tried to lower the pressure but the gauge did not respond. I wonder if beer got into the gauge?

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! Well i found the leak, it was the duotight connection to one of the gas couplers. Tested out by submerging then ends in water to look for bubbles. High pressure gauge reading is holding as is the low pressure gauge. Turned off CO2 for the night to confirm no other leaks. The low pressure gauge initially would respond to turning the valve clockwise and counterclockwise however after a few hours at 20psi i tried to lower the pressure but the gauge did not respond. I wonder if beer got into the gauge?
Did you purge when you lowered it? The gauge measures line pressure. It won't lower if the pressure doesn't go down

Did you purge when you lowered it? The gauge measures line pressure. It won't lower if the pressure doesn't go down
yes i did purge. This morning the low pressure gauge unfortunately has gone down from ~20 to 10. I opened up the CO2 again, turned the knob to 20 and then closed the CO2 again. I'll leave it for the day and see how it looks tonight

Back