Questions about flip top bottles

Sunfire96

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Is there anything special needed for washing and reusing grolsch/flip top bottles? I'm rinsing them with water once empty, like any other bottle. Will the metal rust if soaked in Iodophor? Should I limit how long the rubber washers sit in cleaner/sanitizer? Would keg lube on the washers help at all? Thanks everyone :)

Just give them a good rinse. As Bubba mentioned the washers will crack over time so don't be scared to toss them.

Excellent, thanks guys. I remember seeing replacement washers for sale. Guy at the LHBS said I could expect them to last a year or two, but I love an easy replacement

The other one is the wire cages will slowly lose their grip. You can use some pliers to reshape them so that they have more force to keep a seal. Personally I've stopped using them. I find that somewhere after 3 months they start to let the carbonation go and I really only bottle beers that are likely to spend three months or more in the bottle.

The other one is the wire cages will slowly lose their grip. You can use some pliers to reshape them so that they have more force to keep a seal. Personally I've stopped using them. I find that somewhere after 3 months they start to let the carbonation go and I really only bottle beers that are likely to spend three months or more in the bottle.

Good to know, thank you!

There are replacement "wire cages" available as well ;)
At least in holland there are.
Did tou get the brown grolsch bottles (deposit ones) or green ones (export bottles)?

Back