Pumpkin Ale feedback

GDubs

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Im looking to brew my first pumpkin ale this weekend. I borrowed the grain bill from "The Perfect Pumpkin" recipe but want to changed the spice/hop additions to suit my setup and tastes. Here's what I came up with for a 5 gallon batch...

Grain bill
7 lb Maris Otter
3 lb Light Munich
2 lb Aromatic malt
1 lb Caramunich malt (39L)

Combine and roast till caramelized
3lb Canned pumpkin
6oz Brown Sugar
1tsp McCormick's Pumpkin Pie spice blend

Mash (BIAB) grains and pumpkin for 1hr at 154

1oz Chinook (13.8) @60m
1oz Saaz (3.9) @10m
1tsp McCormick's Pumpkin Pie spice blend @10m

US-04

Ferment +/-14d

Bottle Condition
5oz Corn sugar
1tsp vanilla extract

I feel like I am a little light on the pumpkin and the spice but everything I read said go easy and make adjustments in the secondary if necessary. I only use a primary and I bottle condition so my opportunity to make any adjustments would be to include them when I heat up my priming sugar. For what it is worth, I plan to let this batch bottle condition for 4-6weeks.

Im looking to brew my first pumpkin ale this weekend. I borrowed the grain bill from "The Perfect Pumpkin" recipe but want to changed the spice/hop additions to suit my setup and tastes. Here's what I came up with for a 5 gallon batch...

Grain bill
7 lb Maris Otter
3 lb Light Munich
2 lb Aromatic malt

3lb Canned pumpkin
6oz Brown Sugar

1oz Chinook (13.8) @60m
1oz Saaz (3.9) @10m

US-04

Ferment +/-14d

Bottle Condition
5oz Corn sugar
1tsp vanilla extract

I feel like I am a little light on the pumpkin and the spice but everything I read said go easy and make adjustments in the secondary if necessary. I only use a primary and I bottle condition so my opportunity to make any adjustments would be to include them when I heat up my priming sugar. For what it is worth, I plan to let this batch bottle condition for 4-6weeks.
I speculate that it will turn out great. Not an overwhelming pumpkin ale, but a nice, malty brown with some definite pumpkin elements, more from the spice than the pumpkin itself.

If you have the ability to make a half batch, do that, and make any adjustments in the next batch. But, I admit, you'll run short on time.

Probably too early to get a real pumpkin, but that is what I have done in the past. You would normally take the pumpkin (pie pumpkin, not the big ones), cut them in half, bake them for 60 minutes at around 350, add a little brown sugar, and make a puree out of about 5 lbs worth of pie pumpkin. I have also used the puree from Whole Paycheck when brewing extract, but I didn't see it there anymore. Pumpkin does not have much sugar, so you need an enzyme to extract the sugars. Follow the instructions on the enzyme.
The only effective way I could think of mashing it was to make puree the week before and freeze it. Close to brew day, I took the puree, liquified it in a blender, and combined it with some of my spring water to use as strike water. If it is too bulky, you will have a big problem mashing, and it will make a mess of your fermenter. Again, pumpkin has very little sugar, so you need some help to get it out.
I used 1/3, Pale, 1/3 Munich, 1/3 Vienna. People do pumpkin beer with just the spice and not the pumpkin too.
I like the Maris Otter idea, but I'm not as sure about using that much Caramunich unless you want it sweet, however that is just me. That much Munich light will give it maltiness. I might play with putting some Vienna in that, but it is not my recipe.
You don't need a lot of IBUs. The spice will replace some of your hops. I don't know what you hop schedule calculates to, but I wouldn't go any higher than 30 IBUs, and probably not even that.
S-04 is fine. I have used it in a pumpkin beer.
You do not want overkill on the spice. the 1 tsp might be enough. Allspice is VERY strong. Better too little than too much. You can always add it in the glass later. Add the spice at flameout.
I hope this helps a little. A lot will depend on how sweet you want to go. I don't normally like sweet pumpkin beer. I like a normal 5% ale with some spice and pumpkin. There aren't that many places that do it that way anymore. I am hoping the local brewery up the road does it this year again. He has gotten very good at it, and he doesn't use pumpkin.
My ideas are mostly from John Palmer's book. I did take the recipe in the book and modify it a little for my taste. Mine is very close to his.

Last edited:
Remembered now why I didn't use the can. People online said it may cause a metallic taste. I tried to find a box, but only Whole Paycheck sold them and quite expensively. I couldn't find the puree the next time and had to make my own.
I was also looking through my recipes. I made an American Sweet Potato Brown that turned out really good. Sweet potatoes are a good substitute for pumpkin.

Last edited:
Sweet Potato Brown...... I like the sound of that!

Sandy... my IBUs should come in right around 44. I know that is a little high for the style, but I have a preference for bitter beers so I aimed a little high. To your point about the caramunich.... this is my first time using that much cara/crystal. The recipe I borrowed from called for 14oz rather than the full pound in my recipe. I could certainly scale back to half pound..... or do you think the extra cara would balance the extra IBUs?

No pumpkins at the farmstand yet, so this version is going to be canned puree

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

I'll use 1lb of Crystal in an ESB. I may have used it a Brown, but I don't think it was in combination with that much Munich. I hope others chime in as I have an understanding of what I like with a more limited amount of ingredients, but I'm still learning too.
I basically started with American recipes using Cascade and S05 and then played around with some English and Belgian Recipes. Since I can do lagers now, I want to do some more 34/70 yeast recipes. I have a Pre-Pro Porter in the fermenter right now doing a D Rest.
From what I remember, Palmer's argument was that the spice and hops would compete. I have tasted spice beers that do have some noticeable hops, but nothing that was overkill. To me, that is in the 30 range, but that is me.
You can use sweet potatoes in the exact same way as pumpkin in that beer and still make your own puree. I don't think I used enzymes with sweet potatoes either. I believe they have a little more sugar.

Last edited:
My sweet potato brown - this is when I was playing with American recipes:
57.5% Pale 10.5lbs
5 lbs sweet potatoes (puree them) is says 27.4% not sure about that
5.5% C40 1lb
2.7% White Wheat (head retention) 0.5lb
2.7% Munich I 0.5lb
2.7% Chocolate 350 .05lb
1.4% Brown Sugar 4oz
Low efficiency
2 packets S-05
1oz Cascade 60
0.75 oz Cascade 20
My notes say 5.3%. Also says it was a little dry but tasty after it sat for a bit. Strike water was 160 so I guess I mashed around 152.

My sweet potato brown - this is when I was playing with American recipes:
57.5% Pale 10.5lbs
5 lbs sweet potatoes (puree them) is says 27.4% not sure about that
5.5% C40 1lb
2.7% White Wheat (head retention) 0.5lb
2.7% Munich I 0.5lb
2.7% Chocolate 350 .05lb
1.4% Brown Sugar 4oz
Low efficiency
2 packets S-05
1oz Cascade 60
0.75 oz Cascade 20
My notes say 5.3%. Also says it was a little dry but tasty after it sat for a bit. Strike water was 160 so I guess I mashed around 152.

Thanks! I will add this to my brew list for sure

The sweet potato was more on the nose than in the taste. If you want more than that, you need to go higher on the sweet potato. Same thing with the pumpkin in that you have to figure a way not to let it take up a bunch of your fermenter and have it fine enough to be able to mash.
I did another version of that with pumpkin but changed up the grain bill, the yeast, and the hops to make it more English. I forgot the enzymes and my stupid stove didn't sit level, so I screwed up my mash temps too and made a Session Brown.
After I got pissed at the camp stove, I bought the Blichmann, and my mash temps have been spot on since.
S-04 is fine for recipes, but if you start wanting to step up your game for the darker beers and go the English route, the WLP004 liquid (Guiness Strain) will make a big difference if you ferment it right.

Last edited:
Initial thoughts after bottle conditioning for a week...... too bitter and too murky.
Brewed according to my original recipe, with an additional teaspoon of the spice blend added along with my priming solution. I intended for this to be a little heavy on the IBUs (45) but in this case I think it steps all over the subtle 'pumpkin spice' notes I was hoping for. I also noted a sort of earthy, almost smokey flavor that I wasnt expecting.... not a bad flavor, just not what I was expecting. Would this be the aromatic malt? Or perhaps the caramunich? Its my first time using them, so it would be nice to isolate what they bring to my palette. I am planning on an extended bottle conditioning (4weeks) that I hope rounds off the flavors and clears it up a little.

Punkin ale i make has no actual pumpkin in it, just the spices. I dare you to tell the difference, lol

Initial thoughts after bottle conditioning for a week...... too bitter and too murky.
Brewed according to my original recipe, with an additional teaspoon of the spice blend added along with my priming solution. I intended for this to be a little heavy on the IBUs (45) but in this case I think it steps all over the subtle 'pumpkin spice' notes I was hoping for. I also noted a sort of earthy, almost smokey flavor that I wasnt expecting.... not a bad flavor, just not what I was expecting. Would this be the aromatic malt? Or perhaps the caramunich? Its my first time using them, so it would be nice to isolate what they bring to my palette. I am planning on an extended bottle conditioning (4weeks) that I hope rounds off the flavors and clears it up a little.
Yes, might just need some time and fizz to mellow it all out. I have had that happen, myself.

Time takes care of a few things, but I was worried about the hops drowning out the spice.

I wanted hoppy everything when I went out to the bar not too many years ago. After some of the newer places started making good, traditional beers, I learned that things are a lot better when in balance. When you start becoming an old fart, your body doesn't handle multiple 7+% beers very well either. I love a good Pale Ale, but it is fun to play with some other things too:)

Grain bill
7 lb Maris Otter
3 lb Light Munich
2 lb Aromatic malt

3lb Canned pumpkin
6oz Brown Sugar

1oz Chinook (13.8) @60m
1oz Saaz (3.9) @10m

US-04

Ferment +/-14d

Bottle Condition
5oz Corn sugar
1tsp vanilla extract

Una vez que haya seleccionado la calculadora de comisiones PayPal adecuada, el siguiente paso implica seleccionar el tipo de transacción correcto. La calculadora de comisiones de PayPal ofrece una variedad de tipos de transacciones tarifas de paypal para enviar dinero, que incluyen transacciones nacionales, internacionales y otras opciones adicionales. Elija la que se ajuste a su necesidad específica.
I have been wanting to do a Pumpkin Ale recipe for the past few weeks but have probably looked at TOO much info on here. There are so many good recipes that I have decided to try my hand at creating one on my own (this is my third batch ever, BTW). I want to be able get the "pumpkin ale taste" for sure. I am not sure what the gravity readings would be on this, either. Hoping for something in the ABV range of 6-8?

If y'all could weigh in on your thoughts, I would really appreciate it! Want to get this done by end of week!!

Pumpkin Ale
5 Gallon Extract Recipe

8.25 lb Pale LME (could use DME??)
.5 lb Crystal 60L
.25 lb Special Roast
.5 lb Biscuit Malt

60 oz Canned Pumpkin at 60 min (I have read all the opinions on canned v real pumpkins...can't find real ones now so going canned....is 60 minutes the right call? later in boil?)

1 oz Hallertau at 60 min
1 oz Hallertau at 5 min

Irish Moss at 15 min

1 lb Light Brown Sugar at 10 min

Spices at 5 min (1/2 tsp each of nutmeg, ginger, cinnamon, allspice and clove...should I go more?)

Yeast: planning on 1056 as it is what I used in my first two batches....kinda scared to try another one for this brew. But how much yeast? Don't want to do starter yet, either. One pkg enough?

I plan to run wort through sieve into fermenter.

Planning to taste prior to secondary and add more spices and/or some vanilla.

Anyone care to take a stab at whether or not this sounds ok?

Thanks so much!!

I have been wanting to do a Pumpkin Ale recipe for the past few weeks but have probably looked at TOO much info on here. There are so many good recipes that I have decided to try my hand at creating one on my own (this is my third batch ever, BTW). I want to be able get the "pumpkin ale taste" for sure. I am not sure what the gravity readings would be on this, either. Hoping for something in the ABV range of 6-8?

If y'all could weigh in on your thoughts, I would really appreciate it! Want to get this done by end of week!!

Pumpkin Ale
5 Gallon Extract Recipe

8.25 lb Pale LME (could use DME??)
.5 lb Crystal 60L
.25 lb Special Roast
.5 lb Biscuit Malt

60 oz Canned Pumpkin at 60 min (I have read all the opinions on canned v real pumpkins...can't find real ones now so going canned....is 60 minutes the right call? later in boil?)

1 oz Hallertau at 60 min
1 oz Hallertau at 5 min

Irish Moss at 15 min

1 lb Light Brown Sugar at 10 min

Spices at 5 min (1/2 tsp each of nutmeg, ginger, cinnamon, allspice and clove...should I go more?)

Yeast: planning on 1056 as it is what I used in my first two batches....kinda scared to try another one for this brew. But how much yeast? Don't want to do starter yet, either. One pkg enough?

I plan to run wort through sieve into fermenter.

Planning to taste prior to secondary and add more spices and/or some vanilla.

Anyone care to take a stab at whether or not this sounds ok?

Thanks so much!!
Hi Mia,
The recipe looks good. Personally, I would not include any pumpkin at all, since it is only the spices that you will taste. If you really want to add pumpkin, then late in the boil.

Many on the forum do not believe you really exist. Some think you are a "bot", a person posting at the request of someone else for some (not clear) reason. Part of this belief comes from the fact that, after a single post, you never respond.

So, tell us about your kitchen project! Are you done with it yet?

Third batch ever o_O youve posted more than three recipies it doesn't add up...

Edit atleast now we know you are one of @Craigerrr 's imaginary friends :p
Agree with that Ben. But they are a member since a year now, with more than one post a week. And no spam links I can see. Go figure.

Back