Problem with Event Listener in Mash Guideline Dialog Box

lbsmith

Premium Member
Reaction score
I am continually second guessing just about every calculation in the Mash Guidelines dialog box.

Today, I got completely surprised by a quality check of mash gravities during my mash. I was brewing a Cream Ale with 12.91 lbs of grist and a liquor/grist ratio of 1.7 qt/lb. (H View attachment 16588 igh, I know, but it keeps my HERMS happy.) Midway during the mash, I noted an exceptionally low mash gravity (which I calculate manually outside of Brewers Friend using Braukaiser's formulas here: https://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php/Understanding_Efficiency). I was suspecting a serious mash problem when I discovered my strike water volume was about TWO GALLONS too high.

The recipe editor suggested 7.2 gallons of strike water. I guess I should have intuitively known this was way too large for this small grain bill. In fact, for the LGR of 1.7 qt/lb, with 12.91 lbs of grist, the CORRECT volume of strike water was closer to 5.5 gallons. (12.91 lbs @1.7 qt/lb ~ 5.5 gallons of strike water.)

I've seen similar problems with this dialog box with respect to calculating initial strike water temperature.

I have a theory that the javascript event listeners aren't being processed correctly. Even reviewing the recipe online this morning I was unable to force the application to correctly calculate the appropriate volume. I tried tabbing back and forth between fields and event changed the LGR, but the text input field still said 7.2 gallons.

I WAS able to fix the problem by deleting that mash event and adding a new one with the same parameters. This time the editor correctly reported the appropriate strike volume.

Any insights would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Problem Recipe.png
    Problem Recipe.png
    63.4 KB · Views: 65
I'm not aware of any issue with the listeners. Was this for an existing recipe, did you copy it from someone else? That's the only thing that comes to mind at the moment.

A recipe I created. I was unable to cause the strike water to be calculated correctly until I deleted the mash and added a new one.

A recipe I created. I was unable to cause the strike water to be calculated correctly until I deleted the mash and added a new one.
I'm unable to reproduce, in my account or yours, but please let me know if you're still seeing this on new recipes.

upload_2021-7-16_15-15-41.png

Back