Pre Pro/Pennsylvania PorterLager

Sandy Feet

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I know I have posted about one of my recent Florida discoveries and one of my new beer loves:
Tripping Animals Dark No Mames. It is a Dark Mexican Lager and about 6% made in South Florida and distributed at least in Total Wine around here. It is just a damn nice beer.
Drinking this, I thought about combining the Crystal 120, Munich I, and Chocolate Malt in my Porter recipe with a 2 Row/6Row combination and flaked corn that is in a Pre Pro recipe. For yeast, I was thinking of 34/70. For hops I was thinking Fuggles/EKG.
The only think I am stuck on is a mash temp. I do not know if I want to mash high like a Porter (I mash my Porter around 154) or low like a Pre Pro (150ish). I'm almost thinking low.
Anyway, I'm enjoying driving myself nuts while the Saison ferments and would welcome any feedback or cautions concerning my next possible project. 34/70 has opened another whole world. Thanks Josh.
Forgot - looking to get alcohol in the mid 5s.

What are the adjuncts and amounts?

The only adjunct that I plan to use is flaked corn. I plan to use 1lb for 5 gallons (8. something %). I would normally use flaked oats or wheat in a Porter, and that is where I am kind of picking and choosing from both recipes. I might change my mind on the hops too as I liked the Crystal in my Pre Pro.

8% should convert in an hour without a problem.
I'd mash on the high side to keep some body and some residual malt sweetness.
154° is where I'd start with it

I appreciate that.
I put some numbers in my other program, and they seem to get me close to where I want to be: 1.058 ish to 1.018 which is very close to what my Pre Pro was. If I go low alpha Crystal, I might use the same 3oz in two additions like I did with the Pre Pro as well.
It looks promising and may be worth another experiment over the summer.

I know I have posted about one of my recent Florida discoveries and one of my new beer loves:
Tripping Animals Dark No Mames. It is a Dark Mexican Lager and about 6% made in South Florida and distributed at least in Total Wine around here. It is just a damn nice beer.
Drinking this, I thought about combining the Crystal 120, Munich I, and Chocolate Malt in my Porter recipe with a 2 Row/6Row combination and flaked corn that is in a Pre Pro recipe. For yeast, I was thinking of 34/70. For hops I was thinking Fuggles/EKG.
The only think I am stuck on is a mash temp. I do not know if I want to mash high like a Porter (I mash my Porter around 154) or low like a Pre Pro (150ish). I'm almost thinking low.
Anyway, I'm enjoying driving myself nuts while the Saison ferments and would welcome any feedback or cautions concerning my next possible project. 34/70 has opened another whole world. Thanks Josh.
Forgot - looking to get alcohol in the mid 5s get rid of green nails.
Combining different elements from different beer styles can be a fun and creative process. It seems like you have a clear vision for your next beer project, incorporating elements from both a Porter and a Pre Pro recipe. Regarding the mash temperature, it can have a significant impact on the body, sweetness, and overall character of the beer. Since you're aiming for a mid-5% ABV beer, a slightly lower mash temperature around 150°F (65.5°C) could be a good choice. A lower mash temperature tends to produce a more fermentable wort, resulting in a drier beer with less residual sweetness. This can help the flavors from the Crystal 120, Munich I, and Chocolate Malt shine through without becoming too heavy or cloying. Using 34/70 yeast, a lager yeast strain, is a good choice as it ferments clean and can accentuate the malt flavors in the beer. Fuggles and EKG hops can provide a balanced and traditional hop character to complement the malt profile. Remember to adjust your recipe proportions and hop additions according to your desired target gravity and bitterness. It's also a good idea to use brewing software or online calculators to ensure you're hitting your desired ABV and IBU targets. As always, experimenting with different ingredients and techniques is part of the fun in homebrewing. Enjoy the process and make adjustments based on your taste preferences along the way. Cheers to your next brewing adventure!

Back