Nut Brown

Bigbre04

Premium Plus Member
Established Member
Reaction score
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/embed/1440636

Im going for a light bodied Nut Brown Ale. I dont have the English Yeast, Victory malt, or Corn Flakes on hand right now so i wont be able to brew this until I make another grain order(probably next month).

I want it to be Nut forward (lol), but im not 100% on how to accomplish that feat!

All Feedback is welcome!

The video below may be worth a view. It talks about the differences in various brown malts. Looks like you lucked out, The Bairds one came out as the nuttiest.

Im going for a light bodied Nut Brown Ale. I dont have the English Yeast, Victory malt, or Corn Flakes on hand right now so i wont be able to brew this until I make another grain order(probably next month).

I want it to be Nut forward (lol), but im not 100% on how to accomplish that feat!

All Feedback is welcome!
You obviously know what you are doing, but I gotta say you throw the kitchen sink at your recipes. 11 different items in your grain bill is huge! But that is OK, because you know what you are doing. Keep in mind, my perspective is to simplify, so I try to limit my grain bills to at most 6 ingredients.
As always, thanks for sharing your ideas, and good luck with your Nut Brown Ale. Keep us up to date.

All Feedback is welcome!
So just how 'brown' flavored do you want it? I have a recipe that is almost over-the-top brown. It's not public but it could be.

You obviously know what you are doing, but I gotta say you throw the kitchen sink at your recipes. 11 different items in your grain bill is huge! But that is OK, because you know what you are doing. Keep in mind, my perspective is to simplify, so I try to limit my grain bills to at most 6 ingredients.
As always, thanks for sharing your ideas, and good luck with your Nut Brown Ale. Keep us up to date.
Man I wish that I could claim to know what im doing! I def have reasons in mind when i add things, but that doesnt mean that they make sense in real life! I need to sit down and take a fresh look at that recipe and see what i can improve/simplify.

Well that truly is the entire pantry! haha!
I'm not sure what your inventory is, but English Pale ale malt, a low English Caramel malt, Victory, Pale Chocolate and maybe some dark Munich should get you in the ballpark. Also, an English yeast if you want.
Looking at your recipe, I'm not sure what your target is, but it doesn't need to be complicated.
Cheers,
Brian

To me, a Brown is basically a Porter with a little less Chocolate. I use the darker Chocolate but cut it down from the Porter (probably about 1/2? Don't have the recipe in front of me).
Yup, use the English yeast. I use Maris Otter for the entire amount of Pale malt in my English beers, and yes, mine are a whole lot more simple.
I have read too many things to keep it straight, but I think it was John Palmer that said to have a purpose for something before you add it.
Hopefully, I get to try a Dubbel next month. That is a complicated grain bill, but I am even trying to simplify it just a tad.

Well that truly is the entire pantry! haha!
I'm not sure what your inventory is, but English Pale ale malt, a low English Caramel malt, Victory, Pale Chocolate and maybe some dark Munich should get you in the ballpark. Also, an English yeast if you want.
Looking at your recipe, I'm not sure what your target is, but it doesn't need to be complicated.
Cheers,
Brian
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/embed/1441395

This is a little less complicated.

I have Golden promise and 2row. Caramel i have c15, c40, c120, Spec X, and Brown.

I have M1 and M2 added M2.

Removed the oats since i wanted it to be a little lighter bodied.

I only have standard Chocolate malt. I removed the Midnight wheat in favor of some Chocolate malt.

Im gonna order some APEX San Fran Yeast as a standard ale yeast.

Last edited:
For sure, But i have been on a never ending journey to figure out how to make nutty flavored beers.
Good luck on your journey, a most honorable quest! And keep us posted please.

Years ago, I did a mini-mash of about 10 of my most used grains and looking back on my tasting notes the only ones I gave a "nutty" description to were a 10L Munich and a 20L Munich. Obviously, everyone tastes things differently, but if I were trying to make a "Nut" Brown Ale, I would have to lean hard into Munich malt.

Another option might be to oven-toast some of the base malt to create your own nutty flavors. That could also work with flaked oats as well.

Good luck.

Ok so going with an American nut brown ale then?
The CMC Pale will do.
8% victory is fine for this style and will give nuttiness.
5% Munich Dark for a touch of nut but more for malt backbone
4% Brown will give you mild coffee
1-2% Chocolate but mainly for a color adjustment.
5% Cara 40 for underlying sweetness.
Maybe 2% Cara 120 if you want, this will bring in a bit of Raisin.
This is shooting from the hip and without spending time researching, but should be pretty close.
I have brewed something similar, but it was years ago.

Good luck on your journey, a most honorable quest! And keep us posted please.

Years ago, I did a mini-mash of about 10 of my most used grains and looking back on my tasting notes the only ones I gave a "nutty" description to were a 10L Munich and a 20L Munich. Obviously, everyone tastes things differently, but if I were trying to make a "Nut" Brown Ale, I would have to lean hard into Munich malt.

Another option might be to oven-toast some of the base malt to create your own nutty flavors. That could also work with flaked oats as well.

Good luck.
Its a challenging thing for sure. It wouldnt be practical for me to toast stuff on my own unfortunately.

Victory is supposed to add some "nutty" flavor as well.

Ok so going with an American nut brown ale then?
Gotta work with what i have realistically lol.
The CMC Pale will do.
8% victory is fine for this style and will give nuttiness.
thats where i was at.
5% Munich Dark for a touch of nut but more for malt backbone
yup
4% Brown will give you mild coffee
yup
1-2% Chocolate but mainly for a color adjustment.
5% Cara 40 for underlying sweetness.
I pulled this guy out. wouldnt hurt my feelings to add it back in though.
Maybe 2% Cara 120 if you want, this will bring in a bit of Raisin.
I was using the Special X for this as it adds both dark caramel/raisin and a touch of roasty flavor while adding additional SRM.
This is shooting from the hip and without spending time researching, but should be pretty close.
I have brewed something similar, but it was years ago.

Thinking this will be a decent recipe, I originally had some Golden promise for the residual sweetness that it provides, but i pulled it for simplicity sake.

Have you seen the updated recipe?

Gotta work with what i have realistically lol.

thats where i was at.

yup

yup

I pulled this guy out. wouldnt hurt my feelings to add it back in though.

I was using the Special X for this as it adds both dark caramel/raisin and a touch of roasty flavor while adding additional SRM.

Thinking this will be a decent recipe, I originally had some Golden promise for the residual sweetness that it provides, but i pulled it for simplicity sake.

Have you seen the updated recipe?
I just looked at it, certainly less complicated.
I haven't used the Special X so I can't really say if its like C-120 or not, but I don't believe it's a cara/crystal malt.
I'd still get the cara/crystal to at least 5%.
My 2 cents.
Cheers and happy New Year!
Brian

I just looked at it, certainly less complicated.
I haven't used the Special X so I can't really say if its like C-120 or not, but I don't believe it's a cara/crystal malt.
I'd still get the cara/crystal to at least 5%.
My 2 cents.
Cheers and happy New Year!
Brian
https://bestmalz.de/en/malts/best-special-x/

They say that it is a caramel malt that is then roasted! Its a pretty interesting malt honestly. It tastes(dry) somewhere between a roasted malt and c120.

With the C40 at 4.1% and the Spec X at 2.7% i figure that is close enough?

Back