New into Homebrewing and I'm already obsessed

Andi001

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hey all! I'm here thanks to @Sunfire96 !

Just finished up my first batch of extract homebrew and I'm excited to learn more. I live in North Jersey and recently moved here from Oregon. I've been missing all the yummy beer out there so I'm looking forward to trying out some clone recipes of my favorite brews. See you all around the forum!

Just finished up my first batch of extract homebrew and I'm excited to learn more. I live in North Jersey and recently moved here from Oregon. I've been missing all the yummy beer out there so I'm looking forward to trying out some clone recipes of my favorite brews. See you all around the forum!
Heyo Andi! Welcome to the forum. There's lots of useful information here, and plenty of knowledgeable brewers. I hope you get as much enjoyment out of being here as I do, cheers!

Sunfire looks to make lots of things that I like too. I started with extracts but grew out of it after about 4 batches. Make sure you are buying equipment that will be suitable to going all grain when you get more obsessed. It isn't hard to do.

Sunfire looks to make lots of things that I like too. I started with extracts but grew out of it after about 4 batches. Make sure you are buying equipment that will be suitable to going all grain when you get more obsessed. It isn't hard to do.
Thanks!! what made you decide to switch from extracts? I'll look into the equipment at some point!!

Welcome Andi!
Hope you enjoy it here ;)
I've never done any extract brew as I figured it was easier to get malted grains in my part of the world than extract.

It's very well possible to brew all grain while not spending too much on equipment. :D

Thanks!! what made you decide to switch from extracts? I'll look into the equipment at some point!!
I made some drinkable stuff, but the extracts never fermented down the way I wanted. They all seemed to have FG around 1.020. I also noticed an overly heavy amount of crystal malts, but that could have been my brewing process. You are extremely limited on what you can brew with extracts. Having said all that, I did learn a thing or two doing them.
I decided to go BIAB and I noticed a massive improvement on my first batch even though I still did not have my recipe dialed in. I still had mistakes, but the product was much better and fermented down the way it should have.
I mention equipment because kettles are expensive, and a 10-gallon kettle isn't going to work for a 5-gallon full volume brew day. A 15 or 16 will.
You will normally spend close to 3 1/2 - 4 hours on a brew day beginning to end (maybe a little less) on an extract. It is close to the same or within about 30 minutes for BIAB.
If you brew outside, especially with full volume, do not F around and get a cheap propane burner. I got very mad at my camp stove, bought a $200 Blichmann Burner, and life was much better for the last brew day. When you need 8 gallons of water to brew 5 gallons of beer for BIAB, kettles get very heavy.
No matter what you decide, make sure you have a controller on a refrigerator or chest freezer for your fermenter. Temperature makes a HUGE difference.

Welcome Andi! Ex-NNJ resident here in Atlanta now. Obsessed? Yeah. I think most of us are...:D

Welcome to the forum @Andi001!

I did extract with grains for years when I first got started. The great thing about this hobby/obsession is you can start with a very basic setup and add new stuff as you can.

Back