NEIPA Recipe Yeast Amount

wharf_rat_brewer

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone -

I'm planning to brew a small 1 gallon NEIPA batch....specifically, this recipe.

When it comes to the yeast portion of the recipe, I'm confused about the amount of yeast I need. I've only brewed with dry yeast packets, and I'm not sure what the recipe means when it comes to the amount. It just says 2 Each.

upload_2021-3-10_15-26-5.png

Here is the yeast I ordered.

Surely the "2 Each" doesn't mean I need two packages for a 1 gallon batch, does it?

Also, when the recipe says that there are 46 B cells required, and the yeast packaging claims that there are 200 B cells, does that imply I should use a little under half of the yeast pack?

Thanks everyone.

It will mean two of whatever the yeast they use comes in. It can be sachets, tubes, pouch, etc. I'm guessing your original recipe was for a 10 gallon batch, so they wanted two pouches.

For your 1 gallon batch that one pouch will be more than you need. Overpitching isn't the worst thing in the world for a NEIPA, but I'd still only pitch half your pouch. You can put the other half in a sanitised glass jar in the fridge if you're planning on using the yeast in another batch in the next week or so (or as an emergency backup).

Thanks for the reply! I suspected that less than the full pouch would be plenty.

Yeah most pouches are sized for 5-6 gallon batches.

Back