My First Kolsch ......

MrBIP

Premium Member
Reaction score
......... was a homebrewed kolsch :)

not mine, something given to me to try ... and it was quite tasty, says the hophead, now I've got to start looking up kolsch recipes.

I do now need to get a Kolsch on my to-brew list.

I tasted last night, 2 weeks conditioned.

Wow - mellow and light. But my tweaks have kicked up the ABV, so one must be careful

I will definately make more of this in the summer

I think we tend to focus on PA and IPAs. This one is worth playing with.

Anyone have any unique KOLSCH recipes?

I was looking through the recipes earlier this week. I was planning on brewing Larry's on National Homebrew day. :D

Thanks...
Got some recipe building to do this weekend! As well as some brewin, rackin and bottlin... this is becoming a busy hobby... love it.

MrBIP said:
Extract version of Summer Citra Kolsch .. ???

http://sdrv.ms/11AYdmf

Looks good, except Munich Dark vs Light in the original. This is also a full wort boil for extract, which is less common for extract brews. I did 50/50 early and late extract additions with the partial mash recipe to keep the boil gravity closer to the all grain version, but had to move the first hop addition from 45 to 60 minutes.

MrBIP, you are sharing the recipe by SkyDrive. Just to make sure you are aware - on the Recipe Edit screen you can go to Recipes Tools -> Share, and then share the recipe directly by URL (without adding it to the searchable database). That might save you the step of printing it and posting it on SkyDrive.

Thanks .. I'll have to keep tweaking on this. Based on my first experience with the Kolsch last week and my love of citra hops, I think your Summer Citra Kolsch might be really awesome. Just need to figure out how to do it extract and where to put it my brew schedule... (so many beers, so little time)

Been doing full volume just because I got the big pot for good deal and better hop utilization .. + it seems to me that boil over is much less... three batches now with big pot and haven't even had a close call.

I know I should just hit that share button, just seems a person oughta at least brew it once before posting for putting it out there. .. I'll start using that share button none the less, yes, saves some steps for sure.

MrBIP said:
Thanks .. I'll have to keep tweaking on this. Based on my first experience with the Kolsch last week and my love of citra hops, I think your Summer Citra Kolsch might be really awesome. Just need to figure out how to do it extract and where to put it my brew schedule... (so many beers, so little time)

Been doing full volume just because I got the big pot for good deal and better hop utilization .. + it seems to me that boil over is much less... three batches now with big pot and haven't even had a close call.

I know I should just hit that share button, just seems a person oughta at least brew it once before posting for putting it out there. .. I'll start using that share button none the less, yes, saves some steps for sure.

Sounds like you are well on your way to doing partial mash or even all grain! Full wort boils do have their advantages. The biggest being driving off chlorine in my opinion.

A few releases ago, we set up two levels of sharing (share by URL, and add to searchable database), so in this case just check the first box on the share screen.

LarryBrewer said:
A few releases ago, we set up two levels of sharing (share by URL, and add to searchable database), so in this case just check the first box on the share screen.

Excellent, I will do this.

Before the year is out, all grain for sure. Presently just paying attention to/learning the cleaning/santitation practice, handling, testing, temps, yeast, tasting, etc... every brew gets better .. the one I racked today was by far the best tasting/smelling so far (at that stage)

Can I brag?

Brought a bottle of my Duke St Kings Kolsch to my LHBS yesterday

Owner was really impressed!

"This is from an extract kit?"

"This is only your 4th brew?" (Actually, 3rd)

He was raving about my modification of more DME, which boosted the maltiness of the beer. Maybe not in true KOLSCH style, but the result was pretty good

I strongly urge fellow newbies to have more experienced brewers taste your beer.

We then launched into a long discussion of my partial mash attempt this weekend. I think I have entered the world of AG without knowing it. Gonna be interesting!

Back