mold on Starsan bucket!

Mastoras007

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hello.
Today i brew a new batch, wen time for sanitize was come i opened the starsan bucket and i saw some sing of mold on the lid, (only on the lid) how is this possible?
i throw is and made a new one batch of starsan, I had use it only 1 time 1 month ago, stored on a dark place.
check photos
IMG_20240404_133815.jpg
IMG_20240404_133824.jpg
IMG_20240404_133819.jpg

Did you sanitise the lid before you put it on?

I would just clean the lid with hot water, spray starsan on it and keep using the solution.
Interested to see what anyone else would do

If there was something on it, it will grow. Just clean it, splash some star san on it and keep on.

Nothing can grow in star san. If you mix it correctly, it's less than 2 ph

Did you sanitise the lid before you put it on?

I would just clean the lid with hot water, spray starsan on it and keep using the solution.
Interested to see what anyone else would do
Not sure what i did, can't remember.
But its a star san bucket i thought not need instant contact since is on the same environment!
Any way good to know, every day I learn something new!

The lid was dirty.
It was stored in a dark cool place.
Mold is in the air, so mold spores were in the unfilled air portion of the bucket and mold grew on the dirt.
Going forward, clean everything better and either put it away dry, or wet it with Star San before closing it up.
The Star San should still be fine.
Cheers,
Brian

Happens to me all the time. Clean the lid, wet with StarSan and continue with your day. the solution in the bucket is fine.

I found a good cheap solution 1 cap of each, bleach and window cleaner in a 2 gallon bucket, the bleach cleans and window cleaner protects

keeping starsan in a bucket is fine, but it doesn't sound all that convenient to me.
On top of having one keg dedicated top storing starsan, I keep two of these full as well.
As it gets "used up" it is quick and easy to mix up another of these 4 liter jugs starting with 6 ml of starsan.
Of course I also have a couple of spray bottles as well.

1712247157774.png

Hello.
Today i brew a new batch, wen time for sanitize was come i opened the starsan bucket and i saw some sing of mold on the lid, (only on the lid) how is this possible?
i throw is and made a new one batch of starsan, I had use it only 1 time 1 month ago, stored on a dark place.
check photos
View attachment 28967View attachment 28968View attachment 28969
Amen I store my star San in an old demineralised water bottle and a brew or two ago I discovered this same thing freaked me out I guess some mould don't mind a low PH.

I kept Star san in old one gallon grocery store water bottles, twice I found them leaking out the bottom. Went to one gallon pitchers. I can't imagine StarSan messing with the plastic but the mess convinced me otherwise.
I too have seen that mold on the bottom side of the white buckets when I have cleaned them and set them on the floor where the underside cannot dry properly.

Back