Liquid Dextrose Final SG

Brewer #418839

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hey All...Hello from Newfoundland Canada!! I'm new to this group but have been brewing for about a year. So a little experience but not as much as I would like!!! My question is how does using Liquid Dextrose in place of malt extract affect the final gravity? I'm trying to keg my beer and was trying to reduce the amount of sludge in keg.
Cheers All...keep on brewing!!

Welcome to Brewers Friend My Son! I have no experience with liquid dextrose, so can't help you there. Curious how that may affect sludge in your keg though.

I found that malt extract still contains a level of sediment even after reduction as it still has small particles of the ingredients..or at least that was what I was told.

I would say they are 2 total different things.
Liquid dextrose is like sugar. The yeast will eat all, but nothing much in flavour.
Malts (malted grains) are what makes beer.
Use malt extract.
Only use liquid dextrose to correct gravity or for bottling
Don't worry about sediment. It is not a problem. It will settle out

Yeah....what Zambi said...your sludge...trub...is going to come more from the hops and the yeast settling out. I'm not a kegger, I bottle, but if you start clean out of the mash tun with a good vorlauf into the kettle then a good whirlpool to compact the hops, same from your fermenter, on and on you'll have less trub... theoretically.. but trub isn't bad and some folks brew perfectly clear and clean beer by just dumping the kettle, hops and all then let the yeast do the rest of the work. I've done both a now I only take care with bright or pale colored beer and really don't care about porters and any dark stuff.

Bottom line...your brew your way...play with it and learn. This far in your brewing, you've more than likely already learned that as long as you practice good sanitation, it's pretty hard to really mess up a batch!

Yeah....what Zambi said...your sludge...trub...is going to come more from the hops and the yeast settling out. I'm not a kegger, I bottle, but if you start clean out of the mash tun with a good vorlauf into the kettle then a good whirlpool to compact the hops, same from your fermenter, on and on you'll have less trub... theoretically.. but trub isn't bad and some folks brew perfectly clear and clean beer by just dumping the kettle, hops and all then let the yeast do the rest of the work. I've done both a now I only take care with bright or pale colored beer and really don't care about porters and any dark stuff.

Bottom line...your brew your way...play with it and learn. This far in your brewing, you've more than likely already learned that as long as you practice good sanitation, it's pretty hard to really mess up a batch!
Sanitation is key!! Just getting opinions. Was told liquid dextrose with make a clearer beer!! I normally used malt extract but figured I would give liquid dextrose a try!! See how it goes

Due to a back injury I had to make a lot of changes to my brewing process.
One of the changes I am most happy with is moving to an Allrounder for fermenting, allows me to do closed transfer to keg, and take beer of the top with the floating dip tube.
The benefit here is no trub, or hop debris get into the keg, always good to the last drop (pour that is).
Not an overly expensive piece of goods either.

1708200620757.png

What I do to make clear beers are: Use WhirlFloc near the end of the boil and cold crash fermenter before bottling. Or in your case kegging.
I am also moving into kegging and plan to use floating dip tubes so I won't be pulling trub sludge from the bottom of the keg. So there are a number of things you can do to reduce trub but, sugar isn't one of them. Sugar can be used to increase alcohol content of a beer, thin out the body of a beer, or to provide CO2 for natural carbonation. But as @Zambi said, it won't make beer.

Back