Labels

I don't label bottles, but I do put a mark on the cap. It is usually the first 2 letters of the beer name or just a brief name or description like "Pils" or IPA.

I only bottle when I share beer with others or when entering a competition, I usually just keg everything except Belgians. I tried labels once, but cleaning them off was a pain so I just mark the cap. Not very sexy, but it works and it's easy.

I use 1" Avery brand Presta 94500 labels and a MS Word template from their website.

bottle cap labels.jpg

I use Avery.com to design my labels and print them on my printer. Using template #5164 I can fit six labels on one 8.5" x 11" sheet of full sheet label paper. I get the full sheet label paper from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/iLable-Sticker-Inkjet-Printers-Sheets/dp/B07Q61L831/ref=sr_1_8?crid=37HKG7UA1T4YK&keywords=whole+sheet+label+paper+8.5+x+11&qid=1688230926&s=office-products&sprefix=whole+sheet+label+paper+8.5+x+11,office-products,108&sr=1-8

By using the full sheet you have to get a little creative on how you cut and peel them since they are not precut but, once you figure it out it saves a lot of money. I can usually find a pretty good deal on 500 sheets and that will last me quite a while.

Attachments

• Avery Labels.png
    Avery Labels.png
    28.1 KB · Views: 20
I use Avery.com to design my labels and print them on my printer. Using template #5164 I can fit six labels on one 8.5" x 11" sheet of full sheet label paper. I get the full sheet label paper from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/iLable-Sticker-Inkjet-Printers-Sheets/dp/B07Q61L831/ref=sr_1_8?crid=37HKG7UA1T4YK&keywords=whole+sheet+label+paper+8.5+x+11&qid=1688230926&s=office-products&sprefix=whole+sheet+label+paper+8.5+x+11,office-products,108&sr=1-8

By using the full sheet you have to get a little creative on how you cut and peel them since they are not precut but, once you figure it out it saves a lot of money. I can usually find a pretty good deal on 500 sheets and that will last me quite a while.
I may have to try this. I just use regular paper and packing tape, lol. It does making removal easy

I may have to try this. I just use regular paper and packing tape, lol. It does making removal easy

These labels come off pretty easily. I rinse out the bottle after I pour the beer and then fill it with water and put it in a large Oktoberfest mug with water and some dish washing soap. After soaking for a little bit I can scratch off the label and remaining glue mostly with my thumbnail. I use a small wire brush to finish it off. I use to wait until bottling day to get the labels off but, it's much easier to take off the labels daily. Also, I use to print labels with color backgrounds but, I found out that it uses up my ink cartridges pretty fast so now I keep the label fairly simple but, still nice looking and print in black only.

These labels come off pretty easily. I rinse out the bottle after I pour the beer and then fill it with water and put it in a large Oktoberfest mug with water and some dish washing soap. After soaking for a little bit I can scratch off the label and remaining glue mostly with my thumbnail. I use a small wire brush to finish it off. I use to wait until bottling day to get the labels off but, it's much easier to take off the labels daily. Also, I use to print labels with color backgrounds but, I found out that it uses up my ink cartridges pretty fast so now I keep the label fairly simple but, still nice looking and print in black only.
That is step by step how I remove labels [from commercially filled & labelled bottles].

Also I worked as a printer for three years (health service patient information leaflets) and we did everything in black and white until management caved to demand for colour. All hand folding and stapling. The things that can go wrong with colour...oh boy...soured what had been up to that point my best job. Well I am a bit of a luddite so I would view matters that way.

I would happily try some of those online upload etc sites - great idea imho - except my Epson ET-2600 (discontinued) only takes 80 gsm paper and I don't print enough these days to justify investing in a heavier paper handling machine - plus it has survived longer than all my other printers put together.

I currently use a variety of generic pre-printed self adhesive labels I purchased from Homebrewonline (now out of business). I write on these in a heavy 8-10B lead pencil which are reasonably easy to erase/rewrite and/or peel off. I have re-used some up to several times in the few years since I came by them and although some are a little wrinkly not had to bin a single label yet! They leave a lot of glue behind on PET bottles although still stick back on okay at least once and come straight off glass ones with virtually no residue left behind. When I have removed them off either type of surface I stick them on a couple of one gallon plastic containers I got with wine kits - the labels are easier to re-write whilst on these and peel off them leaving no residue at all. So I have a degree of flexibility.

500ml Grolsch bottles won't take labels due to narrowness between the embossing (I have glassblowing in my family heritage - French not German), I put initials and date on the caps with a water based marker that has so far held up.

Last edited:
That is step by step how I remove labels [from commercially filled & labelled bottles].

Also I worked as a printer for three years (health service patient information leaflets) and we did everything in black and white until management caved to demand for colour. All hand folding and stapling. The things that can go wrong with colour...oh boy...soured what had been up to that point my best job. Well I am a bit of a luddite so I would view matters that way.

I would happily try some of those online upload etc sites - great idea imho - except my Epson ET-2600 (discontinued) only takes 80 gsm paper and I don't print enough these days to justify investing in a heavier paper handling machine - plus it has survived longer than all my other printers put together.

I currently use a variety of generic pre-printed self adhesive labels I purchased from Homebrewonline (now out of business). I write on these in a heavy 8-10B lead pencil which are reasonably easy to erase/rewrite and/or peel off. I have re-used some up to several times in the few years since I came by them and although some are a little wrinkly not had to bin a single label yet! They leave a lot of glue behind on PET bottles although still stick back on okay at least once and come straight off glass ones with virtually no residue left behind. When I have removed them off either type of surface I stick them on a couple of one gallon plastic containers I got with wine kits - the labels are easier to re-write whilst on these and peel off them leaving no residue at all. So I have a degree of flexibility.

500ml Grolsch bottles won't take labels due to narrowness between the embossing (I have glassblowing in my family heritage - French not German), I put initials and date on the caps with a water based marker that has so far held up.

In this same thread Barbarian Brewer uses the Avery 1" labels on the cap which I thought was a good idea because it would eliminate the need for removing labels altogether. I still like having the space to put what I want on the 3" x 4" label though. I also like the look of my logo, Air Guitarist Brewing, name of beer, style of beer, ABV, IBU, and bottling date. Sometimes I bring a couple to work for my coworkers to try and they are pretty impressed not only that I brew my own beer but, I give them a home brew with a cool looking label too...LOL Avery Design & Print Online.png

In this same thread Barbarian Brewer uses the Avery 1" labels on the cap which I thought was a good idea because it would eliminate the need for removing labels altogether. I still like having the space to put what I want on the 3" x 4" label though. I also like the look of my logo, Air Guitarist Brewing, name of beer, style of beer, ABV, IBU, and bottling date. Sometimes I bring a couple to work for my coworkers to try and they are pretty impressed not only that I brew my own beer but, I give them a home brew with a cool looking label too...LOL View attachment 25853

I started with 3"x4" labels but, in addition to the ink cost that you mentioned, I found the labels as hard to soak off as commercial labels. The only downside with bottle cap labels is there is no space for any artwork. But that is a small price to pay as I have virtually no artistic skills :)

I started with 3"x4" labels but, in addition to the ink cost that you mentioned, I found the labels as hard to soak off as commercial labels. The only downside with bottle cap labels is there is no space for any artwork. But that is a small price to pay as I have virtually no artistic skills :)
LOL

In this same thread Barbarian Brewer uses the Avery 1" labels on the cap which I thought was a good idea because it would eliminate the need for removing labels altogether. I still like having the space to put what I want on the 3" x 4" label though. I also like the look of my logo, Air Guitarist Brewing, name of beer, style of beer, ABV, IBU, and bottling date. Sometimes I bring a couple to work for my coworkers to try and they are pretty impressed not only that I brew my own beer but, I give them a home brew with a cool looking label too...LOL View attachment 25853
Very classy, I can appreciate a label like that even more as I am a guitarist. I agree the cap labels are also a great idea especially as I have a crate down on the bottom shelf in my store.

My art isn't up to much given also that I am partially colour blind. I have been working on a logo since February that sort of makes a picture out of words - it needs some work - calligraphy it ain't lol.

Back