knowing the mash details beforehand

plutek

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
greetings!

new to BF, so perhaps there's something (many things? :) ) that i'm missing about the working paradigm...

once i've formulated a recipe, let's imagine I want to Brew It! haha... so i hit the "Brew!" thingy. that, of course, gets me to a Brew Session, including the Brew Calculator... that's where my puzzlement occurs: it seems the methodology is, "calculate a step and see the details (via the "update" button), then execute that step, logging it in real time (via the "add..." button)". however, often we need to know the details of all the steps ahead of time, because i.e. we need start water heating to a certain temperature a few steps before it's needed, in order for it to be ready in time.

yes, of course, things often need adjustment along the way, but a detailed procedure is needed ahead of time so we can have things ready in a timely manner.

so, am I missing something? how do folks keep all their "ducks in a row" on brewday using BF? perhaps a few examples of top-to-bottom procedures, detailing what tools are used when, might help us newbies!? :)

thanks, in advance, for all your collective wisdom!

cheers!
.pltk.

...oops... I meant "Mash Calculator", of course! :)

you can set up you equipment profile then form recipes then hit the brew but not actually brew it, it puts it in a sort of calendar list and you can set a date ahead of when you want to brew, then go through and fine tune that brew sheet, fill out everything you can before the brew day, you can also change the recipe and rebuild the brew but be warned it resets the brew sheets

you can also change the dates of any brew and have as many as you want already filled out ahead

thanks, Ozarks!

so, essentially: do fake brew-days... ok, cool... but if you step through it all faster than brew-time, the brew calendar list can't be used as a timed guide, 'cuz BF records whatever time you make each entry. i guess we can't edit those times, eh?! :(

but those times would be only marginally useful; brew-day will be ruled by the timers and the whims of nature anyways! so just having it all listed in sequence will be great!

cheers!
.pltk.

yes don't fill out that brew sheet until the actual brew day, actually I don't even pay attention to my times because Im not right at the pc when brewing so it doesn't matter to me, I know my times

Back