Keg it or let it sit in the primary....

Bulin's Milker Bucket Brews

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Here's the situation, brewed my Irish Red on 1/30, Hit fg yesterday around noon. NORMALLY I would give this 7 to 10 days total before I keg it, HOWEVER, just got work that I need to go out of state for the next 3 weeks for work. I'm leaving late Saturday morning, thinking that if the gravity stays stable I should be ok to keg it early Saturday and put it on co2 until I get back to carb up.

Should I be worried about kegging it too early? M15 Empire Ale yeast is sitting at 75% attenuation according to the ispindel. Right at the top end for that yeast(the cane sugar late boil gave it the proverbial kick in the backside).

Ah The Brew Mentor spelling true words of brewing wisdom patience :).

But I like minibaris idea of slapping a spunding valve on it and letting it build some pressure but then if you pop it in the keggerator well that will halt fermentation if it ain't done.

Kegging it and putting it on some co2 will = carbed beer when you return but it may just be a tad Underattenuated which you'll probably be looking for so you'll have to live with that if so.

It's a tough one if it were a chico strain one I've used plenty of times and I got 80% attenuation previously I'd leave it as is.

But say you know the yeasts limits and its stable upon the next reading well keg it it's probably done.

If the gravity stays stable when you check again, I would keg it as well. If it moves, then I would let it ride. Let the yeast make the decision.

Yeah I'd just leave it, 3 weeks won't hurt it.

I would be torn at that time frame too. I might leave it in the fermenter. I hate rushing.

Well too late now, but 3 weeks more on the yeast is not even a tiny problem. I'd leave it.

Patience "Grass Hopper". When you get back You'll find you have a great beer. I've had to do the same working out of town and being concerned about the time my beer is sitting on the yeast cake. I've had no problems at all. I use a spunding valve set at around 5psi and let the beer sit at around 67-69 degrees. When I get home it's torture because I'll still need to cold crash (unless it's a hazy) and force carb. I've heard a lot of people say they've had issues with off flavors when the spunding valve is set higher like at serving pressure while in secondary.

Back