Julebryg recipe by "Krave"

Laugesen

Trial Member
Reaction score
I am brand-new to homebrewing and tried this recipe with my son, who has brewed before. We question why it calls for 250 g of dextrose plus an equal amount of brown sugar. Compared to other Christmas beer recipes that seems like a lot of sugar for a 21 liter batch.

Has anyone else tried this recipe?

Also, it calls for two packets (= 23 g total) of yeast. We boiled and started the ferment yesterday, intending to add the yeast today after cooling. However, I only have one packet of yeast available today (the local vendor closed until tomorrow). Should I a)add the one packet today, get another tomorrow? b) Or wait until tomorrow, then add two packets? c) or forget the second packet altogether?

And as for the vanilla pod, searching online I find that some folks discard the inner scrapings, but some put both the scrapings and the pod husk into the mix. That's what we did.

Any helpful comments are appreciated. Tak for det!

all the sugar is doing is upping the gravity and adding more alcohol, also the brown is giving a flavor and smother mouth feel, and no thats not too much, I add a pound or 2 some times, the yeast love sugar

the yeast is up to you, it will work with one but 2 would be much better, if you made a starter you could get away with 1 because it would double in size, nothing wrong with the recipe, looks good :)

never used vanilla pod before I'm sure nosybear can answer better he dabbles in things like that,

The yeast you add today will take up all the oxygen. If you're going to add more yeast, reaerate. You shouldn't have any problem if you do this within a day or so of the first pitch. And do rehydrate your dried yeast before adding it - you'll save about half your live cells by rehydration as opposed to just sprinkling it on the wort dried.

Thanks both replies. Yesterday we added the (dry) yeast, one packet, after consulting a local home brewer. Next time we will hydrate it first (add it to what, a cup of water?), if we don't have a starter.
And I did suspect that that extra sugar would do precisely as you say, merely increase the alcohol content--a Christmas brew tradition.

if your very sanitary meaning use a Starsan spray, spray everything that comes in contact with the beer even your hands and use a turkey baster or just a glass somehow get a half of glass of the wort, pour your yeast in then shake it up with something covering it, just pour it then shake the carboy until it foams up, your good to go :)

Back