International amber lager

Steve Ruch

Lifetime Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I'll be bottling this in 3 or 4 days
Screenshot_20230313-102852.png

More like 5 if I understand those strange imperial measurements correctly :D

I think the recipe is fine with the exception of the crystal malt. You can leave it in there, but it's not normally added to to lighter colored lagers. Vienna and even Marzens don't include the crystal malts. S189 is going to bring a nice malty character from the combo of the Pils, Munich and Vienna malts. The crystal malt is not in character with this beer style.

actually according to BJCP it is.View attachment 24620
If you add caramel or crystal malts it’s mostly for color and it’s use is restrained. S189 yeast doesn’t attenuate as well as 34/70, so even the yeast selection has an impact on malt character. The amount of crystal malt in your recipe may have a negative impact, making the finish sweeter than with just base malts. To me S189 is slightly sweet anyway, so I try to get it to attenuate with lower mash temps.

In the end it’s your beer. If you brew it and like it, then keep the recipe. If it doesn’t work out, then you at least have an idea on how to correct it.

Look again it's only 10%.
Hmm…I didn’t see the Vienna and Munich in there before…

Still too much crystal for my tastes however I can see it in an "international" version instead of something German.

Last edited:
If you add caramel or crystal malts it’s mostly for color and it’s use is restrained. S189 yeast doesn’t attenuate as well as 34/70, so even the yeast selection has an impact on malt character. The amount of crystal malt in your recipe may have a negative impact, making the finish sweeter than with just base malts. To me S189 is slightly sweet anyway, so I try to get it to attenuate with lower mash temps.

In the end it’s your beer. If you brew it and like it, then keep the recipe. If it doesn’t work out, then you at least have an idea on how to correct it.
189 attenuates more for me than 3470

Just bottled

I like it very much, it turned out just how I wanted it.

So posted in Recipes for Feedback but not looking for feedback? ;)

Last edited:
Not sure how you jump to that conclusion on my saying I'm happy with how it turned out.
Mainly because you posted the recipe after you brewed it. Seems like the opposite order of things…

just messin with ya bud. Chill

I want to brew a Czech Amber Lager but have not found much helpful information online as far as a style profile or even example recipes. When putting together a recipe I typically like to see some example recipes and read a style profile for it to come together in terms of the style framework then come up with my own.
financial planning advisors
I was hoping someone on the forum might be able to chime in or direct me to some solid info online to help me put this together. I brew all grain and mostly lagers. Any help would be appreciated!

James

Back