How to set up a digital tap list

smaz

Premium Member
Reaction score
I use Plaato Kegs to monitor my kegs in my keezer, but with that technology being discontinued, I'm considering ways to set up a digital tap list to accompany my keezer instead. I know there is software such as taplist.io out there, but I'm finding almost no recommendations online about the hardware needed in the keezer to support this. Do I just need flow meters with a wifi connection? Any step-by-step help here would be much appreciated: what hardware do I need (a) within my keezer; and (b) outside of my keezer. Also, (c) what is the most user-friendly digital tap list software that's out there--I mean as plug and play as possible without having to download an operating system myself. Thanks!

Well that is horseshit! I have 4 of those plaato kegs.

There is a company that makes an inline metering system. It's not cheap though

Not sure what these Plaato devices are, but it sounds like they have a method of measuring the flow out of the keg so you know how much beer you have? Yes, you can get in-line flow meters but you would have to build your own monitoring system (arduino?) and they "may" be difficult to keep sanitary. Another solution I have been contemplating is to monitor the weight of the keg in the kegerator! You can get cheap load cells on Amazon but, again, you would have to build a system to read the load cells. I was contemplating using a hinged platform for each keg with two load cells monitored (and powered) by an arduino with a two-row display. Calibration would be relatively easy. It would not be overly accurate, but should be able to read down to a pint or two!

Not sure what these Plaato devices are, but it sounds like they have a method of measuring the flow out of the keg so you know how much beer you have? Yes, you can get in-line flow meters but you would have to build your own monitoring system (arduino?) and they "may" be difficult to keep sanitary. Another solution I have been contemplating is to monitor the weight of the keg in the kegerator! You can get cheap load cells on Amazon but, again, you would have to build a system to read the load cells. I was contemplating using a hinged platform for each keg with two load cells monitored (and powered) by an arduino with a two-row display. Calibration would be relatively easy. It would not be overly accurate, but should be able to read down to a pint or two!
Plaato keg are weight based. They do exactly what you are taking about and are pretty accurate.

Plaato keg are weight based. They do exactly what you are taking about and are pretty accurate.
I did a little reading up on the cheap load cells and they should be accurate to about 1oz - should be fine for monitoring keg contents! I'll probably get started on it in a few weeks - I'll keep the forum updated on how it progresses!

Here is a link that describes the cells and operation: Inexpensive Load Cells with Arduino

I use two bathroom scales with an Arudino.
One for the keg inside of the kegerator and one for the CO2 bottle.
20190508_160703.jpg

Back