How to scale up?

Brewer #402948

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow brewers!

My friend and I have been brewing on a 25 litre system for about 18 months and are loving it, however we feel it is now time to scale up so we are able to brew more beer in one batch. We're currently brewing in my garage so have space for bigger equipment.

This post is asking for advice: what is the most cost effective way to scale up our brewing system? We preferably would like to be able to brew 100 litres in one batch. Any suggestions on equipment is also welcome

Thanks!!

Hello fellow brewers!

My friend and I have been brewing on a 25 litre system for about 18 months and are loving it, however we feel it is now time to scale up so we are able to brew more beer in one batch. We're currently brewing in my garage so have space for bigger equipment.

This post is asking for advice: what is the most cost effective way to scale up our brewing system? We preferably would like to be able to brew 100 litres in one batch. Any suggestions on equipment is also welcome

Thanks!!

What is your budget? It also seems like you are not in the US, also would need to know where you are.

Hello fellow brewers!

Thanks!!
Where are you located?

You are already planning for my first recommendation, which would be buy a kettle for the future and not just an incremental increase. I can't imagine many homebrewers expanding beyond 100 liters!

Next would be to think about whether you want to keep your same process but, increase the volume or do you want to switch from one style (i.e. batch sparging) to another style (i.e. Brew In A Bag). Or do you need to move outside and switch to a propane burner because you are currently brewing on your kitchen stove?

For cost effectiveness, look at online sites like EBay and Craigslist for people selling their equipment. For kettles in the 100 L range look at breweries. They may be selling off equipment or, unfortunately, going out of business. Look for DIY opportunities to make things like immersion chillers and such. Reuse existing equipment, such as kettles. Use them to heat sparge or strike water or to make a starter.

No idea how the single vessel idea works at this scale, but it's a possible option...
https://www.kegland.com.au/products/brewzilla-100l-gen-4

Power usage will also be an interesting question to answer.

And if you're looking to go pro one day, maybe a multi-vessel system will give you more experience for that next step. I have seen some single vessel 500 litre systems from Speidel, but the multi-vessel systems are far more common in commercial breweries.

Last edited:
No idea how the single vessel idea works at this scale, but it's a possible option...
https://www.kegland.com.au/products/brewzilla-100l-gen-4

Power usage will also be an interesting question to answer.

And if you're looking to go pro one day, maybe a multi-vessel system will give you more experience for that next step. I have seen some single vessel 500 litre systems from Speidel, but the multi-vessel systems are far more common in commercial breweries.

I currently am brewing on a 1 vessel 200L Speidel brewhouse that i push up to 2bbl. I absolutely hate it, but I also came from a 4 vessel fully automated brewhouse.

I have used a 3 vessel (mash/lauter, Kettle/WP, HL tank) 1.5bbl natural gas Ruby Street that was pretty nice. We upgraded the pumps, but otherwise it was pretty great.

1 vessel systems above homebrewing are very very rare. You will be able to make better beer(imo) using a 2+ vessel brewhouse. Plus if you want to go bigger you will have a better idea of the process.

Our gear is 3p 400v so I cant really speak to the power consumption at 110 or 220v.

If you have the option i would do direct fire. It is faster and more efficient. you just have to think about burning the bottom. Cant really use fire in an enclosed space the size of a garage though.

Back