Hop utilisation - Percentage value in Recipe Edit and HSI value

AHarper

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Someone else mentioned Hop Utilisation earlier so I thought I would test it out and it does multiply the generated IBU value - almost.

When % = 100 you get the maximum IBU value
upload_2022-2-4_22-24-21.png

When % = 50 you get the half the IBU value
upload_2022-2-4_22-24-42.png

When % = 100 you get the maximum IBU value? Why not 0???
upload_2022-2-4_22-25-4.png

Yes I know using 0% would be pointless but the maths is wrong here.

Then there is the HSI value.
What you SHOULD do with this value is adjust it to suit the AGE and STORING conditions of your hops.
It is a level of degradation of your hops
- From the Inventory page:
You can see the value stored against the hop (BRU-1) is empty but this is assumed, by the editor, to mean 0 which should represent very good quality (i.e. 100% of the declared AA value)
upload_2022-2-4_22-39-42.png

Change the HSI value to 0.5 which should represent degraded i.e. Questionable quality, and re-edit the recipe again....

upload_2022-2-4_22-47-58.png

NO CHANGE IN IBU?????
What does HSI bring to the equation? Nothing much it seems. Is it used at all? If not why not?

Great observations as always Alan.

At the moment HSI doesn't do anything directly, it's basically just there as a reminder for the user. If you head over to beta you should see an update to the yeast to change the generic (notation only) "date" to a calendar modal just like in brew session, so then we can take the datestamp for the ingredient and apply some storage viability loss formula to the ingredient.

Hops will be following along after yeast, so while the HSI doesn't currently do anything, it's coming soon!

As far as the util=0 behaving as 100, that's a new one. Opening a ticket up now.

Back