Hefeweizen

Shiny Head Brewer

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi All, I'm looking for some feedback on this recipe. would you add anything to this? Thanks. A

MASH INGREDIENTS
- 5.5 lbs. Weyermann Pale Wheat malt
- 4 lbs German Pilsner malt

MASH SCHEDULE:

SINGLE INFUSION
Sacch’ Rest: 152° F for 60 minutes
Mashout: 170° F for 10 minutes

BOIL ADDITIONS & TIMES
1 oz Tettnang (60 min)

Liquid yeast:
WYEAST #3068 WEIHENSTEPHAN WEIZEN YEAST.
Optimum temperature: 64-75°F

BOIL ADDITIONS & TIMES
- 1 oz Tettnang (60 min)
YEAST

Looks good in terms of having a lot of wheat malt. Might want to add some rice hulls to avoid a stuck sparge.

Plug it into the calculator and share it so we can see more detail.

agreed with above, curious why pilsner versus 2 row?

I mean you could use pilsner if you want I would just look into the different flavor qualities of the malts. It will most likely be fine I just do not use it too often personally so I am not very framiliar with it. I feel like I remember reading that pilsner malt can have more potential for DMS, but I may be wrong. I also don't know what the lintner value (diastatic power) for pilsner is but I think it might be a little less than 2 row. Wheat malt I believe is self converting but could use a little help from some base malt like 2 row or pilsner (which is why there are usually no 100% wheat beers, i think the most I have heard is a 70 to 30 split). You might consider doing a little bit longer of a mash just to be sure it converts. If you do 60min normally then maybe do 90min. This beer will be really light in color if you car about that at all too (if you do care consider throwing in ounce of something to darken the color, an ounce won't impact the flavor). Looks like it probably be pretty tasty though.

great feedback BH. This is my first "all grain" 5g batch. I think the rice hulls will help too. As far as DMS is concerned i think i can avoid if proper boiling practices are in place.

You definitely should do a 90 min boil whenever you use pilsner malt to drive off the DMS precursors. Have a fairly vigorous boil w/o a lid on the kettle. Also adjust your pre boil volume to account for the extra loss because of the extended boil.

Wheat malt can self convert. I don't know specifically about Weyermann's but Briess makes wheat malt with a DP of 160 to 180. There have been 100% wheat beers made but the lautering is almost impossible unless you BIAB. From what I have read, they are cloudy, they aren't too tasty, but the head is fantastic.

Thanks for all the "tips"! I brewed this over the weekend and found i didn't need rice hulls after all (used crushed grain not flakes). i also increased my boil to 90 min (plus 15) because i forgot to stop the sparge at 7g. I did use Briess and converted - i think - well (had a blowout in my 6g fermenter). Also, OG 1.043 5.25g

Pilsner provides a lighter, crisper, and sometimes sweeter flavor profile in my opinion. 2-row is the more neutral choice, which can be a very good thing for many beers. I always boil my pilsner based batches for 90 minutes and have never tasted the DMS flavor everybody is so worried about.

It would be a good experiment to re-do the batch, all else fixed, with 2-row instead of pils. Then compare side by side and see which one you like best.

Time to start buying grain by the bushel! - (55 lb sack)

Back