Gyle bottle priming

Herm brews

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I just saw on Reddit someone referenced Brewer’s Friend concerning bottle conditioning, specifically the Gyle/Krausen Calculator. Has anyone here bottle primed using Gyle? I looked at the calculator, and it is offered as an “advanced” method. It seems an intriguing idea.

I saw a suggestion to freeze it for the few weeks from collection to use as primer.
Yup I'd do this Herm.

I put some in pet bottles and in the fridge from memory and nope it wasn't good for use .

Yup I'd do this Herm.

I put some in pet bottles and in the fridge from memory and nope it wasn't good for use .
Definitely freeze it!
I did just that for a while (pet bottles in the freezer), because it made for "reinheitsgebot" adherent beer, and had absolutely no troubles with in going bad, but...
...then I just couldn't be bothered any more.
There is imo absolutely no difference in taste in gyle vs table suger for priming and there is nothing more frustrating then setting up for bottling and then realizing you forgot to thaw the gyle ahead of time. :mad:

Could one just use dry malt extract instead of wort?
Did that a couple of times too. I dissolved and boiled it before adding to the bottling bucket. Works fine, but again, noticed no difference in taste compared to table sugar, which is easily 10x cheaper.

I just saw on Reddit someone referenced Brewer’s Friend concerning bottle conditioning, specifically the Gyle/Krausen Calculator. Has anyone here bottle primed using Gyle? I looked at the calculator, and it is offered as an “advanced” method. It seems an intriguing idea.
Using Gyle or Krausen for bottle conditioning can have several benefits. It allows for natural carbonation without the need for priming sugar, which some brewers prefer for flavor reasons. It can also contribute additional yeast and flavors from the actively fermenting wort or Krausen to the finished beer.

However, it's important to note that bottle conditioning with Gyle or Krausen is considered an advanced technique and may require careful attention to detail and monitoring. It's recommended to have a good understanding of fermentation and carbonation processes before attempting this method.

However, it's important to note that bottle conditioning with Gyle or Krausen is considered an advanced technique and may require careful attention to detail and monitoring. It's recommended to have a good understanding of fermentation and carbonation processes before attempting this method.
I like careful attention to detail, and monitoring. Can the gyle be pre-boil wort, or does it require boiling?

I've done it a couple times, set asside some wort post boil, pet bottled in lagering keezer(34 degrees), added at bottling and worked fine. Just way simpler to me to add 3/4 tsp sugar to the bottles before capping.

Alright, I think I’m convinced not to pursue this gyle conditioning any further. The process that I use for bottle priming works well enough, so I will stick with what works.

Back