Good deal on an underappreciated yeast

Steve Ruch

Lifetime Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I just ordered this. These are a good size for a
Screenshot_20221006-133805.png
three gallon batch of bitter or mild.

Nice find. I've never brewed with that--what styles do you use that strain for? How does it compare with Danstar, Fermentis, etc? Sounds like a bargain, anyway. I'm tempted to order some, just to have some low-cost yeast on hand.

I brew mostly with dry yeast ever since my LHBS went toes-up 3 years ago and I'm leery of ordering liquid through the mail. I just bought a bunch of US-05, S-04 and Notty on Amazon, in lots of 6 packets each. Worked out to around $3/packet and free shipping. It just arrived yesterday, with use-by dates late 2023 or early 2024, so a good year-plus to use it. Beats paying $6-$8 plus shipping at NB or MW.

Nice find. I've never brewed with that--what styles do you use that strain for? How does it compare with Danstar, Fermentis, etc? Sounds like a bargain, anyway. I'm tempted to order some, just to have some low-cost yeast on hand.

I brew mostly with dry yeast ever since my LHBS went toes-up 3 years ago and I'm leery of ordering liquid through the mail. I just bought a bunch of US-05, S-04 and Notty on Amazon, in lots of 6 packets each. Worked out to around $3/packet and free shipping. It just arrived yesterday, with use-by dates late 2023 or early 2024, so a good year-plus to use it. Beats paying $6-$8 plus shipping at NB or MW.
I mainly use it on British styles like bitter and mild.
Those will last (in the fridge) way past the best-by dates. The last pack of Muntons that I used was 4 years past and did great on a three gallon batch of bitter.

I brew mostly with dry yeast ever since my LHBS went toes-up 3 years ago and I'm leery of ordering liquid through the mail. I just bought a bunch of US-05, S-04 and Notty on Amazon, in lots of 6 pack. Beats paying $6-$8 plus shipping at NB or MW.

I use nottingham and S-04 a lot.
Label Peelers ships dry yeast free by the mail. And occasionally have good sales.

I use nottingham and S-04 a lot.
Label Peelers ships dry yeast free by the mail. And occasionally have good sales.

I always forget to check Label Peelers. I need a few packets of Lallemand Abbaye, and neither NB nor MW carry it.

Back