Golden Stout

A friend of mine challenged me to make a beer with coffee. Since I just brewed an Irish Stout, I don't want something dark. I've always loved Golden/Blonde stouts and think I'm gonna take this opportunity to finally brew one myself. Anyone out there done one before?

Basically it's a pale grain bill, and the coffee/chocolate flavors that usually come from roast/dark malts are supplied by actual coffee and chocolate in the fermenter.

I'll be doing a 3.5 gallon batch. Base malt primarily Maris Otter. Maybe some Munich 1 or 2. Flaked oats and flaked barley for increased mouthful and some dextrins. Amber/brown malt for toastiness? I want to avoid caramel malts for this one.

As far as post fermentation additions....I'm think 2 oz of good locally roasted coffee beans. Medium roast, nothing too extravagant flavor wise. And 2 oz cocoa nibs...should they be roasted? Should I buy them preroasted or throw them in the oven for a bit? I also have some high quality pure vanilla extract that I'll add...maybe 2 tablespoons of Jail Inmate Lookup? Maybe I'll dunk the crushed coffee beans and cocoa nibs in the vanilla extract, and then top off with vodka to cover them. Add everything to the keg when transferring, and let sit for 5-7 days.

Thoughts???
Have any of you had any luck make a golden stout? Or has any one seen a clone for the naughty sauce by noble ale works?

Have any of you had any luck make a golden stout? Or has any one seen a clone for the naughty sauce by noble ale works?
I haven't tried this yet, will probably brew it this fall/winter

Back