foam out of the key

Nberry

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I keg most of my brews, but I am having a hard time getting the CO2 levels correct so as to prevent too much foam. I mostly do ale style beers or lagers. I am using five-gallon kegs and 3/16"" beer line. The lines are approximately 10' in length. I will fill the keg and set the CO2 at 11 lbs. when its filled and let it sit for a week before I draw from it. I don't have adjustable taps at this point, and I would like to not have to replace all of the faucets. I did replace some of the faucets with forward sealing units, but I really can't tell the difference between the new and the old faucets. Any items would be nice to hear.

I had same problem as you, this is what i did to solve it.

1) get EVA barrier beer line for the keg. Regular silicon is gas permeable and will let the CO2 out of the line.
2) before you pour, i have a small cup that i pour about 2oz into. This purges any gas bubbles that have formed before you pour into your glass.
3) make sure you rinse your glass before you pour. you will have less nucleation points to form foam.

Also the EVA barrier lines don't have to be long. Mine are only about 4ft, just long enough to reach the keg in the kegerator

So I too have something similar, but I use picnic taps on my kegs. What I have to do is pull the pressure release until it almost stops hissing, then draw my pitcher. Then turn the gas on again to refill it. Wasteful, perhaps, but it works.

I am using an el cheapo picnic tap off a corny keg, so I will watch all the responses. From what I read for my situation, it was because of a very short line. Until I go into the brew store and buy more toys, I am using a wider glass and just giving it time to settle, just like I would a Guinness.

I also let my Co2 levels to drop to around 8 when serving. You are probably going to get foamy at 11 serving no matter what. Correct me if I am wrong y'all.

I also let my Co2 levels to drop to around 8 when serving. You are probably going to get foamy at 11 serving no matter what. Correct me if I am wrong y'all.
You are wrong. :p Serving my sour ale at 17 and my ipa at 14.

If you turn the serving pressure down to 8, you will have bubbles in the brew based on 8 psi.

Does that also depend on the length of the line? This one I am asking to learn something. Everything I have read indicated that.

Yeah it's line length and internal diameter of the beer line this provides resistance to ballance out the pressure in the beer line as it travels along towards the tap.

Now the tap (1st pour of the day) is hot so as the cold beer hits the ambient temperature tap it causes the co2 to rapidly release from suspension creating the foaming on the first pour.

This is where minibaris mini cup pour help by cooling the tap.

Them nukataps are created with less tap body to help reduce this foaming issues.

My method pour a half glass on first pull gulp that then dig in baby.

I have my psi set at 10 I run 4.5 meter 4mm internal diameter EVA barrier beer lines and yeah you see my pours not to bad if I so say so myself :cool::p

You are wrong. :p Serving my sour ale at 17 and my ipa at 14.

If you turn the serving pressure down to 8, you will have bubbles in the brew based on 8 psi.
I carbonate much higher, then drop to maybe 4 to serve. Then back up until the next pour. If there's a crowd, I set the regulator low, as an hour or two at low psi doesn't hurt the carbonation.

Does that also depend on the length of the line? This one I am asking to learn something. Everything I have read indicated that.
depends on the line, as I have found. if you use EVA barrier line, you dont need to go ultra long. but in general, if you want to use a higher PSI (to keep your beer carbed to the correct level) then a longer line will give more resistance and lower the head pressure at the faucet. that does cause less foaming.

I carbonate much higher, then drop to maybe 4 to serve. Then back up until the next pour. If there's a crowd, I set the regulator low, as an hour or two at low psi doesn't hurt the carbonation.
very true. but I dont want to monkey with the reg everyday. set it and just use it. to each thier own, of course. this works for me and I dont have to worry about faucet pressure from one brew to the next.

depends on the line, as I have found. if you use EVA barrier line, you dont need to go ultra long. but in general, if you want to use a higher PSI (to keep your beer carbed to the correct level) then a longer line will give more resistance and lower the head pressure at the faucet. that does cause less foaming.
Nothing wrong with Extra length:D

The line comes in 20 Meter lengths here so plenty to play with when making beer lines for you kegerator/keezer :)

Back