cowboy7307

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I have some Galaxy hops 60gm and i want to make a Smash beer 10Lt
What would you recommend the rate of hop to use and when
it will be a BIAB
thanks

Depends on what you are making? IPA, Pale ale, blonde etc.

Yes, like Josh says: what sort of beer do you want it to be?
And aa % of the hops maybe

Yeah, hard to know the amount of hops to add without knowing what you're after, but I like to time SMaSH beers something like this...

DRY

I wouldn't go overly bitter, maybe 30-40 IBU's tops. Save those awesome hops for late additions. YMMV

Good luck. Keep us posted.

If you want your SMaSH to be bitter, then go with an early kettle addition. If you want to really taste the hops, late kettle or whirlpool addition with dry hopping. It also depends on the malt you use.

We have a brewery that I frequent in town that did a 5% single hop Galaxy Pale Ale that was very good. I haven't quite got my Pale Ales the way I want yet, but I have a better idea now. I would do a 60 and a 10 if I were doing that again (and I will eventually). When I try the next one, I might go upper 40s on the IBUs. I tried lower 30s the last time with a high alpha hop flame out addition, and I wish I had gone higher.

Be careful boiling Galaxy is all I can say that hop can be hit and miss when it's a hit it's amazing when it's a miss it's a Grassy bastard lol.

I'd as per all my hoppy beer bitter with a clean hop then go all in on the back end of the boil with the Galaxy WP then Dry hop.

I'd split the amounts evenly 30g Whirlpooled 30g Dry hopped.

thanks for all the replies
was after some thing around 5% , styleIPA, and use Maris otter as my malt, seeing i have some
Galaxy was because i have some in freezer, but also have some citra
Yeast I was going to use a high temp one ,but our temp have dropped right off, so will use a US 05

Back