First beer of the year nominations

JWR_12

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hi: relatively new brewer here. I imagine many of you master brewers out there have New Years’ traditions: beers you brew to begin each year. What do you make? What’s your go-to get the New Year off right batch?

I am no master brewer, but I think my first brew in the new year will be another round of my Amber Ale. The last batch was probably the best of that beer, and I want to have it again soon, out of the keg this time.

No master either.
I'm going to try get another beer in this year and then I wait for Q1-2024 and see if I can make that.
Summer & rainy season, so I'm most likely stuck with Voss Kveik for a while

Not sure what I'll brew after next week - probably a pale ale since I have the ingredients ready, but this week (and last week), I'm brewing two 1 gallon batches to test out different hops taste/bitterness. I'm brewing the second of these today with magnum and galaxy.

Not sure what I'll brew after next week - probably a pale ale since I have the ingredients ready, but this week (and last week), I'm brewing two 1 gallon batches to test out different hops taste/bitterness. I'm brewing the second of these today with magnum and galaxy.
How do you go about calculating ingredients for 1 gallon of beer? I’m still getting the hang of converting 5 gallon or 7 gallon recipes to something else.

How do you go about calculating ingredients for 1 gallon of beer? I’m still getting the hang of converting 5 gallon or 7 gallon recipes to something else.
It’s really not that complicated. I create my own recipes. Starting with a target Original Gravity (O.G.), fermenter volume and brewhouse efficiency percentage, then working with each grain’s potential contribution in ppg (gravity points per pound per gallon) it is just a little bit of math. Most recipes are going to feature mostly base malts, with just small percentages of character malts. It can be a fun process.

I typically brew a Kolsch every new years morning, but this year will be different as I don't have the yeast.
Not sure yet, but I'm leaning towards a cold IPA.
We'll see.
Cheers
Brian

I don't really think of the start of the year as the start of a rotation, or a reset, or anything like that.
My only trend is that in 2021, and 2023 I brewed the Brewers Friend Quarterly recipe, so maybe I continue that trend...

2018 - Block Party Ale - Extract Beginners Kit, first ever batch
2019 - Coffee Porter
2020 - Black IPA
2021 - Shady Bohemian Dark Czech Lager
2022 - Back Injury, did not brew in 2022
2023 - Bunyip
2024 - 4.3% Hazy or the 2024 Q1?

I have been doing things in January that I haven't tried before. Last year was my first lager. This year (fingers crossed) will be my first Dubbel. It looks like WLP 500 doesn't need to be as warm as some of the other yeasts either. Good, because if we get a cold snap, it won't be all that warm in the garage refrigerator. Hoping the weather stays in the 70s during the day too.

I think my 1st brew of 2024 will be a saison. The last one was really good.
Damn, I love me a good, clean Saison. Do you have a heating belt or chamber for that in the winter? Another thought: I love Grisettes too if you decide to go the session route.

Very interesting! Let us know how it goes!

Damn, I love me a good, clean Saison. Do you have a heating belt or chamber for that in the winter? Another thought: I love Grisettes too if you decide to go the session route.
I just cool down to 80F pitch the saison yeast and place a heating pad under thr fermenter and keep it at 80 until complete.

I would love to hear your comments/notes if using that yeast. At some point in time, I want to brew a Helles or Vienna Lager. Trying to gain as much knowledge as possible before the attempt.
In the meantime, I told the wife I wanted to make another ESB, another Saison, and a Hefe, so I guess I have projects when I actually find time.

I just cool down to 80F pitch the saison yeast and place a heating pad under thr fermenter and keep it at 80 until complete.
I was probably overthinking everything. My Saisons were during the summer where I could start around 68 and slowly ramp up after low krausen.
My last fruit Saison finished in the low 80s wirh the Belgian yeast.

I would love to hear your comments/notes if using that yeast. At some point in time, I want to brew a Helles or Vienna Lager. Trying to gain as much knowledge as possible before the attempt.
In the meantime, I told the wife I wanted to make another ESB, another Saison, and a Hefe, so I guess I have projects when I actually find time.
I'm actually using Apex Munich lager yeast. I will keep yall informed on the progress!

Back