extract kit modification

mongreldog

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi there anyone. I have several dead ringer ipa extract kits from northern brewer. I would like to try to make a batch using different hops for a less hoppy/bitter finished product. Any suggestions for hop replacement? Thanks

I would like to try to make a batch using different hops for a less hoppy/bitter finished product. Any suggestions for hop replacement?

What additional hops / malts / yeast do you have available to work with? Also, can you confirm that you are working with the 5 gal kits?

Thanks for your reply. Each kit contains 9.15 lbs. gold malt syrup, 1 lb. Briess caramel malt and 5 oz. of centennial hops. I would have to purchase any additional hops or other ingredients. I also have several packages of Safale US-05 yeast. Just looking to make a good tasting ale using these ingredients. I am happy to buy whatever is needed to create something tasty. Thanks again for your consideration.

Couple of choices, like less hops, or less boiling, or (as you asked) different hops. 5 ounces is a bit much - I've used more, but for special reasons.

Bitterness comes from the time the hops are exposed to high temperatures (essentially, the boil). Either use less hops, or boil them less time, or both.

Time: 30 vs. 60 minutes won't change it a lot, but it'll be about half at 15 minutes and about a quarter at 5 minutes.

Quantity: an ounce is a decent amount. Maybe an ounce at the start, and another ounce when you stop the heat. That'll give you bitterness and flavor, but not as powerful.

Different: bitterness is bitterness, and most hops are just as bitter as another, so no sense in changing. But Centennial also has flavor, a bit grapefruity, while other hops have different flavors. What flavor(s) are you looking for?

Finally: Brewers Friend has a recipe builder. If you enter your ingredients accurately, it can help you predict how it will turn out. It works pretty well, but if you have questions about what it tells you, just ask. For example, a beer with 15 IBU of bitterness is not very bitter, maybe like Budweiser, while a beer with 50 IBU is pretty bitter, maybe more than Sierra Nevada pale ale.

Oh, and welcome!

I have several dead ringer ipa extract kits from northern brewer
The /r/homebrewing wiki has some ideas on storing kits that will not be brewed "immediately" (link). Basically its LME in the fridge, yeast in the fridge, and hops in the freezer.

Dead Ringer is a great clone of Dead Guy Ale, I have made it many times.
Don has some great advice but if you boil less you will need more hops.
Using less than 4oz in the 60 minute boil would be cloyingly sweet.
Hop substitutes for the Centennial would be Cascade, Columbus or Chinook.

Last edited:
If you have several packages of yeast, make sure they have been stored the proper way, and make sure they are within date before you use them.
I agree with playing around with the recipe builder. I don't know what "Gold Malt Syrup" is made from. Is it American Pale? A mix of stuff?
Your syrups are going to be limited on what you can do with them. You can add steeping grains if you want something different in them or change the hops. That is the main reason I took the step to go all grain BIAB. You have a great deal more freedom, and my beer was instantly better.
If you haven't done it yet, make it as is and see how you would adjust the second batch. That is the best way learn to build recipes to your taste.

Thanks for your reply. Each kit contains 9.15 lbs. gold malt syrup, 1 lb. Briess caramel malt and 5 oz. of centennial hops. I would have to purchase any additional hops or other ingredients. I also have several packages of Safale US-05 yeast. Just looking to make a good tasting ale using these ingredients. I am happy to buy whatever is needed to create something tasty. Thanks again for your consideration.
Donoroto provided a lot of good info in his reply on Dec. 18. One additional suggestion is to play around with the recipe builder and try several different combinations of reducing the amount of hops and/or shortening the boil time or substituting a different hop with a lower alpha acid content. The recipe builder will calculate each permutation and spit out an IBU number for it. The lower that number is, the less bitter the beer will be.
Everyone's taste is individual and how much to reduce the IBU level to get to an acceptable tasting brew for you will have to be determined by simply reducing the IBUs by some amount and then seeing if you like the results. I suggest you cut the IBU level by 25% and see what you think.

Back