ERROR: "Invalid Hop Use Specified"???

El Brujo

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,
Recently I have seen error messages when trying to save my recipe, which I can't seem to clear. Currently I am getting an "Invalid hop addition" error, when I only have Fuggles pellets selected at 60min (this one saves fine), but adding the second one (whirlpool for 20mins) won't let me save it. There's nothing new about how I am adding hop additions so I don't know why now after years of using BF.
Was thinking about contacting support but thought I would try here first to see if anyone experienced them and was able to get around it.

Thanks!
Dan

<< New to forums here, not new to BF....

Last edited:
I've has this error before and unfortunately the only fix I've found is to delete the recipe and start over again. It's definitely a pain, but has worked for me in the past

Thanks for confirming. I had this error with a malt addition as well about a week ago and couldn't seem to clear it. I wrote to tech support today describing the problem and they said it was because I was missing a required criteria (e.g. "boil")...but I know that wasn't the case on this one. They offered to check the recipe, but of course, the problem has gone away and the recipe saved fine. I have an email going which I will write back if it happens again.
Thanks again,
Dan

Thanks for confirming. I had this error with a malt addition as well about a week ago and couldn't seem to clear it. I wrote to tech support today describing the problem and they said it was because I was missing a required criteria (e.g. "boil")...but I know that wasn't the case on this one. They offered to check the recipe, but of course, the problem has gone away and the recipe saved fine. I have an email going which I will write back if it happens again.
Thanks again,
Dan
Unfortunately we've had this pop up every few months and there has been no consistency or easily identified root cause. Copying or deleting and re-creating always fixes the issue, and sometimes deleting all hops and redoing just the hops works, but not always. It's a sneaky one!

Unfortunately we've had this pop up every few months and there has been no consistency or easily identified root cause. Copying or deleting and re-creating always fixes the issue, and sometimes deleting all hops and redoing just the hops works, but not always. It's a sneaky one!
Thanks for the 'real' answer. The sighting is new to me in the past month or so, but had not seen this during fairly frequent usage in the past two years. I'm using Chrome browser on a Windows 10 machine if that helps. I was a PDE in my past life and we used to call these 'gremlins'... I love BF and I can live with them... Thanks again!

Thanks for the 'real' answer. The sighting is new to me in the past month or so, but had not seen this during fairly frequent usage in the past two years. I'm using Chrome browser on a Windows 10 machine if that helps. I was a PDE in my past life and we used to call these 'gremlins'... I love BF and I can live with them... Thanks again!
Gremlins and the Ostrich Algorithm issues are my nemesis.

Back