Dry Yeast vs Liquid Yeast

Do you use Dry Yeast or Liquid Yeast?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reps form Lallemand/Lavlin have advised against dehydrating dry yeast. They say there is really no reason to anymore and that it only increases chances of infection.

Didn't they used to have instructions for rehydration on they packages? I'm pretty sure Safale says to just sprinkle....gonna hafta check my records to check my memory...

Did the reps say anything about using the calculators for dry?

Didn't they used to have instructions for rehydration on they packages? I'm pretty sure Safale says to just sprinkle....gonna hafta check my records to check my memory...

Most drys still do have instructions... I think. I really haven't actually read a sachet in forever.

Not explicitly, that I remember, but because dry is a known cell count and they don't really die off once dehydrated the count is virtual 100% accurate unless it is past expiration date. As I understand it.

My SafAle packets have rehydration instructions, but I haven't done that in quite some time.

Hmmmpt...my Safales' packets (2021 and 22 exp) don't but my Lalle's (2021) do.

My SafAle packets have rehydration instructions, but I haven't done that in quite some time.

, but because dry is a known cell count and they don't really die off once dehydrated the count is virtual 100% accurate unless it is past expiration date.
Yes, while the count is known, dry yeast does die off, just not as fast as liquid.

Expiration dates on dry yeast are an unnecessary load of bullocks. Dry yeast will last probably for 10-15 years with minimal losses in any timeframe much shorter than that. It is the biggest advantage of dry over liquid, and one reason why I use dry yeast for 90% of my batches.

Expiration dates on dry yeast are an unnecessary load of bullocks. Dry yeast will last probably for 10-15 years with minimal losses in any timeframe much shorter than that. It is the biggest advantage of dry over liquid, and one reason why I use dry yeast for 90% of my batches.
I used a Muntons dated Nov 2016 not that long ago that worked great.

Back