Dry Yeast Quantities

somekindaguy

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Been homebrewing for just over a year, so can usually figure things out.
However, just have a question regarding dry prepackaged yeast.
I believe that 1 packet of prepackaged yeast is normally good for around 5 gallons of wort (into the PF).

I use a Grainfather G30 brewing system, and when I convert some recipes to adjust for the volumes of this system, I often can yield up to around 6-6.5 US gallons of wort into the PF. As I bottle condition, I want to ensure that I have enough yeast left over from the fermentation to provide adequate carbonation in the bottles; especially if I cold crash.

So, I add 'some' additional amount of yeast to the fermenter to allow for this activity.
This method has variable success.

Here's the question: If I have over 5 gallons of wort going into the PF, should I just add another full package of yeast to assist with bottle carbonation, or will the additional yeast cause excessive activity and 'blow out' during early fermentation?

All comments and suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

So you've had bad results with just using the left over yeast in suspension from the fermentation?

This is all I used to do.

Why not just cold crash the bottles after carbonation this will compact the trub nicely in the bottom of the bottle.

Store in the fridge for atleast a week before drinking should do the job...

I bottled exclusively for over 7 years, never had a batch that didnt carbonate and I never added more yeast. even with cold crashing in the fermentor, you have have plenty of active yeast. just prime and bottle.

Hi All,

I believe that 1 packet of prepackaged yeast is normally good for around 5 gallons of wort (into the PF).

I use a Grainfather G30 brewing system, and when I convert some recipes to adjust for the volumes of this system, I often can yield up to around 6-6.5 US gallons of wort into the PF. As I bottle condition, I want to ensure that I have enough yeast left over from the fermentation to provide adequate carbonation in the bottles; especially if I cold crash.

So, I add 'some' additional amount of yeast to the fermenter to allow for this activity.

Here's the question: If I have over 5 gallons of wort going into the PF, should I just add another full package of yeast to assist with bottle carbonation, or will the additional yeast cause excessive activity and 'blow out' during early fermentation?

Yeast grows a lot during fermentation. There’s no need to add more after fermenting for bottling. One packet of 11 grams of yeast does well for most ales. 2-3 packets for lagers at lager temps.

If you are over 5 gallons, it would not hurt to pitch two packages to your primary. I NORMALLY pitch 2 packages with a 1.055 to 1.06 5 gallons batch and more for a lager.
My understanding of the question involves the initial yeast pitch and nothing after the fact.

Hi All,

Normally, it should not be necessary to add any more yeast. But if you feel it is necessary, a whole packet is way overkill. It is not harmful though. A tenth of a packet - a gram - would be plenty.

Try an experiment! Package half the beer without added yeast, the other half with.

It would be fascinating to hear how they compare.

This!
I used the lallemand calc, but I also look at manufacturers recommendations as a guide.
Hey that lallemand calculator is pretty cool! I use Nova and Voss from them and by thier calculator im pitching about 100 extra grams! I am completely fine with this since im pitching 250g out of a 500g block. Just interesting!

Hey that lallemand calculator is pretty cool! I use Nova and Voss from them and by thier calculator im pitching about 100 extra grams! I am completely fine with this since im pitching 250g out of a 500g block. Just interesting!
I use a lot of Apex and just sub in a comparable yeast.
I've found it works for most everything except Kolsch yeast. In that case, I refer to manufactures suggested amounts.
Cheers,
Brian

Hi All,

Hello!
I use the same G30 system as you do and also calculate to put 6 US gallons into the fermenter.
I do not believe that 1 sachè of dry yeast (normally 10 gr) is enough for this quantity of wort, especially if you are brewing lager!!!
The yeast manufacturers suggest 0,8 .... 1,2 gr/L of dry yeast.
I do not bottle anylonger but use a 5 gallon keg!
Anyway, when I did bottle I prefered to do priming with table sugar, which produces the necessary CO2 and do not leave yeast sediments atr the botton of the bottle

Back